UK/EC/USA citizenship by paternity?

sinsin2

This is from another board.

Some help would be appreciated.

The main point is that the father is NOT

MARRIED to the mother,but is on the birth certificate.

SINSIN

From: jonny b good (Original Message) Sent: 9/13/2001 8:23 PM

I have a one year old son who was born in Thailand who has got a british passport, the problem is that in 5 weeks we return to LOS and the THAI EMBASSY LONDON tells me that i need a visa for my son which lasts 4 months max. We always stop in thailand for 6 months at a time, I think it is wrong to have to drag my son 4 hours to the border when he was born there anyway.

Has anybody go any ideas or come across this problem before?

CHEERS JONNY

P.S I CANT WAIT FOR A COLD BOTTLE OF CHANG!!

You might be able to get an extension of his 4 month visa at Thai Immigration in BKK. Tell the taxi driver Sathorn Tai, Soi Suan Pluah. Thai Immigration is on the left about 1 kilometer down Suan Pluah from Sathorn Tai. Big-ass building next to a big-ass police station. Not sure what kind of luck you'll have, but that's the place to get a visa extension. Cost me (a US citizen) 500 baht. I asked for a 30 day extension, but only got 2 weeks. Looks like a hop to PP for me soon.

Thanks for the info, i just dont fancy taking a one year old to Poi Pet.

Cheers Jonny

Have you tried a discussion group 'Thai-UK' or 'Thailand-UK'?

It is now a Yahoo group, but I do not have the full address. It exists mainly as a support group for mixed (Thai-UK) marriages and has a lot of info about visas - usually visas for Thai wives/girlfriends to get in UK, but the other end as well.

Organised by Lee Douglas.

Bring child to LOS on tourist visa.

Get Thai passport in LOS.

Use it to enter and leave Los in future…

Show UK passport at other side.

It’s a common problem,

Any more questions ask me.

I understand in Thailand you can not have dual citizenship.

The child is British ,because is parent are married and the father is British and the child takes the nationality of the father.regardless af were the child was born.

If the parents were not married the child would take the nationality of the mother even if the child was born in the UK.

I dont see how the child can get a Thai passport if the child i not a Thai citizen.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Don't know about England or Thailand but in America anyone born here is automatically an American citizen regardless of what the parents are. That is why so many people try to cross our Southern border. And though America also says no dual citizenship people born in America with parents who are citizens of another country can also obtain passports from their parents country. Just don't tell America about it. I know many people who carry passports from more than one country. All legal inside the respective countries.

"I understand in Thailand you can not have dual citizenship."

You can until 18 .Then you have to elect to keep Thai citizenship........but you can do this and still keep your

foreign passport.just keep quiet.

"The child is British ,because is parent are married and the father is British and the child takes the nationality of the father.regardless af were the child was born."

The child is entitled to UK passport whether the parents are married or not.......

"If the parents were not married the child would take the nationality of the mother even if the child was born in the UK."

Marriage has nothing to do with it.UK parent.Entitled to UK passport.

"I dont see how the child can get a Thai passport if the child i not a Thai citizen.

Correct me if I am wrong."

Child was born in Thailand...see origional post.

I am sorry your wrong , since the British nationality act if you are British and have a thai girlfriend who is not British citizend who has your child and you are not legaly married the child will take the nationality of the mother and will not be entitled to a British passport.

If you are legaly married then the child can get a British passport.

Even if the child was born in the Uk outside mariage

to a thai citizen mother the child would get the nationality of the mother

If you dont beleive me ask the Home Office UK

you are not married

British Citizen

People became British citizens on 1 January 1983 if they were citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies on 31 December 1982 and had the right of abode in the United Kingdom on that date.

The most common ways for a person to become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies before 1 January 1983 were:

By birth in the United Kingdom or in a place still a British colony.

By naturalisation in the United Kingdom or a British colony.

By registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.

By legitimate descent from a father* to whom the previous conditions applied.

*Prior to the introduction of the British Nationality Act, 1981, a person could not claim nationality from his or her mother.

Child born outside the United Kingdom after 1st January 1983

Father born in UK:

Child’s full birth certificate, showing both parents’ names.

Fathers birth certificate.

Parents’ marriage certificate.

Mother born in UK: Child’s full birth certificate.

Mother’s birth certificate.

Cut and pasted from UK Gov sites.

Believe I know of 2 cases in the past 12 months where unmarried men have obtained

Uk passports for their chidren..that is not to say you will not have some shitbag

in the FO or embassy telling you it cannot be done that you have to be married etc.

Just ask them their name ,tell them you understand the regulations and demand to speak to their supervisor it works wonders.

I know many guys forced into marriage to obtain a passport for their kid.......

no need just stand your ground and demand your rights.....

I reiterate ask their name and then threaten them(politely) with

supervisors,MP,s,

Sunday Times,Archbishop of Westminister ,They will fold quickly.

And of course ask them are they racist.

I am starting to rant but jumped up little fucks make me crazy.

They work for you,you are a UK/EC citizen ,not a hungry refugee

tell them that.

Here is another way around it for any one of Irish descent.

Irish grandparents etc.

(notice"if applicable, marriage certificate "

Same for UK believe me ...who the fuck is getting married now.

Too many NF /Tories working in FO.

The following is a summary of the main requirements for gaining Foreign Birth Re.g.istration.

Persons over 21 years of age who, having been born outside the Country, had a parent who was an Irish Citizen (otherwise than by birth in Ireland) can become an Irish Citizen by application for Foreign Birth Re.g.istration.

Subject to Foreign Birth re.g.istration, others who probably can claim Irish Citizenship are those Great Grandchildren who were born after 17 July 1956, and whose parent was re.g.istered as an Irish Citizen on the date of his/her birth, or was re.g.istered as an Irish Citizen prior to 30 June 1986.

Where re.g.istration is being sought on the basis of having an Irish born Grandparent, evidence proving descent from that Grandparent is required. The following documentation is required and approximately four months should be allowed for an application to be completed:

Applicant:

Certified copy of birth certificate and, if applicable, marriage certificate.

2 recent passport size photographs (signed and witnessed)

Any three proofs of identity from -

Current passport

Bank Account statement

Pay slip

Driver's Licence

Identity card with photograph

Phone, power or rate bill or similar.

Parent:

Certified birth certificate and, if applicable, marriage certificate

Proof of identity (e.g. passport) or Certified copy of Death Certificate, as the case may be.

Grandparent:

Certified birth certificate, and if applicable, marriage certificate. However, if the birth was before the start of Civil Re.g.istrations in 1864, a Baptismal Certificate is acceptable. Proof of identity (e.g. passport) or Certified copy of death certificate, as the case may be.

Notes:

Photocopies of documents are NOT accepted

Certificate must be issued by the Dept of Births, deaths and marriages and list parent's names.

If in doubt - please consult your nearest Irish Consulate

Child born outside the United Kingdom after 1st January 1983

Father born in UK:

Child’s full birth certificate, showing both parents’ names.

Fathers birth certificate.

Parents’ marriage certificate.

Mother born in UK: Child’s full birth certificate.

Mother’s birth certificate.

Actually think about it, if this was the case the EC Court of

Human Rights would crucify the UK.

Imagine the feminists if it was the other way around.

0 recommendations Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

You still have not proved me wrong!

The British father needs a marriage certificate

if is son born to a none British lady

is to be classed as a British citizen at birth

You state this yourself in message 13

Footnote if it was a easy as you say I could go to Svay Pak make 10 girls pregnent in my dreams When the 10 children are born admit that I am the father and collect 10 British passports for them

As I have stated before - go to the Thai-UK discussion group in Yahoo.

Keenio appears to be deliberately misunderstanding the situation.

Sin sin seems to have the right handle on it - but get into contact with the people who know - there are literally dozens of mixed marriage families (some with amphur, some with the thinnest of marriage documents) on this site who have been through the same (or very similar) problems with children born prior to the marriage/partnership.

They have navigated these problems and are all willing to help/

I am currently in Libya, where I have no means of contacting them myself (no e-mail facility, just direct company internet). So I can help no further.

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

The first item mentioned inthe mail was Visa Run for a child.

OVERSTAY, a child of less than 12 years of age doesn't have to pay 200B per day overstay.so no need for a visa run.

Irish citizenship.

If the mother or father was born in Ireland there is an absolute entitlement to citizenship for the child, no marriage required. There are then loads of other ways of getting the passport. it even says on the forms that you can sign a declaration that you are Irish if there is no proof of the fact.

British it can be done without marriage, you just have to jump through loads of hoops to get it.

Thai

There was a court case a number of years ago and the end result is a child born to a Thai parent is entitled to Thai citzenship, irrespective of where the child was born.

rictic

Regular

Member # 259

British it can be done without marriage, you just have to jump through loads of hoops to get it.

Yes.

I just found the link to confirm it.SECTION C is for children born outside the United Kingdom after 1 January 1983 to a British citizen (or citizens) by descent where the child later comes to the United Kingdom with his parents or parent to live.

3. LEGITIMACY

A child who was illegitimate at birth may in some circumstances have been legitimated by the subsequent marriage of his or her parents. Also the child of a void marriage may in some circumstances be treated as legitimate. In certain cases of this kind, a child may already be a British citizen; for example,

if the father was a British citizen because he was born in the United Kingdom.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?PageId=1197#1

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

One comment about "automatic" US citizenship for child born in USA.

Almost true, but not quite. Exception that "disproves" the rule: Present King of Thailand was born in Massachussetts, USA, but his birth was never registered in USA for purposes of citizenship, so he is reportedly not a US citizen.

Not particularly relevant to the thread topic, but for wht it's worth.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

"Almost true, but not quite. Exception that "disproves" the rule: Present King

of Thailand was born in Massachussetts, USA, but his birth was never

registered in USA for purposes of citizenship, so he is reportedly not a US

citizen."

Really interesting info.

too bad they did not reg him as a citizen and later collect taxes.

smile.gif" border="0

Archived