Comment on the new visa regulations

steffi

for the websurfing impared: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Sep2001_news03.html

Hmmm... not really much info about what they are *actually* going to do. Sounds like the the Foreign Minister just wanting to look like he's doing something.

quote:

Thais were not enjoying visa-free or visa-on-arrival privileges in return, he noted. "Since we do not enjoy exemptions, we should review our offers."

I like this. Has absolutely nothing to do with terrorism. This kind of thinking was batted around several months ago (and maybe has been for years?). Just hope it doesn't come to pass, and if so that it doesn't get too tough and end up kicking out those of us on perpetual tourist visas.

quote:

Originally posted by steffi:

Similar to the recent Thai airways plastic knives and forks press release. Yes I will feel perfectly safe on Thai knowing that they now use plastic cutlery.

Yeah. Personally, I'd rather have 50+ passengers armed with steel cutlery to go up against hijackers also armed with steel cutlery, than those same passengers armed with plastic sporks go up again hijackers armed with whatever superior weapon they snuck on board.

laugh.gif" border="0

It seems from reading the article in bangkok post that they simply cannot make up their mind as to exactly why they are introducing these new rules. It looks to me as though they are using the threat of terrorists to justify reciprocating the treatment Thais receive overseas when they travel.

Personally I don't see any correlation b/w the two and this is just another case of the Thai government trying to publicise themselves as being proactive to the worlds media to get some "air time"

Similar to the recent Thai airways plastic knives and forks press release. Yes I will feel perfectly safe on Thai knowing that they now use plastic cutlery.

They really confuse the hell out of me sometimes. Thaksin has stated he wants to increase the revenue from tourism and then they moot the idea of charging people not only to leave Thailand but to enter also. That will really increase their popularity.

But in reality it will increase the cost of going which is one of the main reasons why more people don't go. Why trek from the UK half way round the world when you can get all the sunshine you need in the Med or even join the 1 million Brits who hit Florida every year.

And also about the Tourist visa, yeah kick those guys out and lets loose the money they spend also.

What would be better would be a streamlined system where one can actually extend one's stay in Thailand from within Thailand. That way the authorities can see the applicants and screen out the illegal workers etc.

Have a simple process at a Government building where you go apply when you have 5 days left and then you can receive a 3/6/9/12 month extension.

new visa restrictions would apply only to some african and asian countries- being kicked around now is a tourist visa for less days from the above mentioned regions- no affect for farang countries- the same proposal came up during the chuan government and was dropped

Archived