Angry jilted wife gets 10 years

think_too_mut

Angry jilted wife gets 10 years

June 15, 2004

A THAI woman was jailed for 10 years today after attempting to run down her Australian ex-husband and his baby son from a new relationship.

Christopher Evans ran across paddocks and hid behind parked cars to try to escape his then estranged wife Phirajit Evans who was chasing him in her four-wheel-drive vehicle.

Phirajit Evans, 42, a Thai national, was found guilty by a Supreme Court jury in Brisbane in April of two counts of attempted murder on October 2, 2002.

Justice John Byrne today sentenced Evans to 10 years jail, declaring her a serious violent offender, meaning she must serve eight years before she is eligible for parole.

Evans drove to her husband's house at 7am that day after abusing him over the telephone for not paying her tax bill.

Mr Evans, who separated from his wife in February 2000, was taking his 16-month-old son from a new relationship out in his pram for a walk.

The court was told Phirajit Evans chased him down the street in her car and onto vacant land, knocking Mr Evans into the air and crushing the pram.

Mr Evans grabbed the baby, who was still strapped in the pram safety capsule, and ran to a parked car for protection.

But she rammed it - missing them by centimetres - and then drove off.

Mr Evans and his son escaped with minor injuries.

Outside court, Mr Evans welcomed the sentence, saying nothing could stop his ex-wife's vendetta against him.

"She got what she deserved," he said.

"It's a miracle, we both could have been killed."

The two were married in Australia after meeting in Thailand in 1996, but separated in February 2000 and have since divorced.

Justice Byrne said Evans was probably enraged by jealousy over her estranged husband's new relationship and resented his refusal to discuss her demands for more money.

Mr Evans had offered his wife a property settlement of either buying her a car or paying her tax bill.

He refused to give her any more money after he bought two cars for her in succession, which she sold.

A psychologist's report described the couple's marriage as an "impulsive cross-cultural mismatch".

AAP

Did anyone see this on OZ news.Husband is told wife is remorsfull for what she has done.Husband says "she has no remorse,she just realized she will do time."Then daughter(approx30 yrs) of wife says she thinks it is wrong for mother to get 10 years jail( for attempted murder) and she(daughter) has nobody to take care of her now .While holding her new born baby.Where is daddy?I can only go from what I saw and it came across real bad.My g/f freaked out after watching the report ,disgusted in her fellow thai and pissed off at the stupidity of the farang for marrying her.

Me too. sky brow. :(

Archived