Thai's are generally a very ugly and lazy race...

Gleem this tidbit from the web last night while planning my upcoming (hopefully) trip to Thailand. Thought it interesting how the world back in 1911 saw life and saw the rest of the world. It was a lot smaller back then

The writers claimed in this version of the 1911 encyclopedia it was ( and still is) one of the best loved edition.

Bangkok had a populaton of 450,000 people and it is described as a city with wide, well thought out thrufares with tree line streets.

" The typical Siamese is of medium height, well formed, with olive complexion, darker than the Chinese, but fairer than the Malays, eyes well shaped though slightly inclined to the oblique, nose broad and flat, lips prominent, the face wide across the cheek-bones and the chin short. A thin moustache is common, the beard, if present, is plucked out, and the hair of the head is black, coarse and cut short. The lips are usually deep red and the teeth stained black from the habit of betel-chewing. The children are pretty but soon lose their charm, and the race, generally speaking, is ugly : ( from the European standpoint. The position of women is good. :D Polygamy is permitted, but is common only among the upper classes, and when it occurs the first wife is acknowledged head of the household. In disposition the Siamese are mild-mannered, patient, submissive to authority, kindly and hospitable to strangers. They are a light-hearted, apathetic people, little given to quarrelling or to the commission of violent crime. Though able and intelligent cultivators they do not take kindly to any form of labor other than agricultural, with the result that most of the industries and trades of the country are in the hands of Chinese."

I added the instant graemlins myself. I don't think they were

as popular in 1911 as they are in 2004. :D

Here is the link to the entire entry:

http://67.1911encyclopedia.org/S/SI/SIAM.htm

Shit

you can see how social and cultural perspectives change over time

--------------

Yes, and how some things have not changed as well.

Especially if we read a bit beyond/between the lines. also, some of the farang to thai prejudices are slightly but not totally altered, when reading old "us/them" stuff and comparing with comments/frustrations on this board.

In many ways, i find it fascinating when one reads something written in 1871, for ex., and you'd swear it's pretty close to what happened to you last night or yesterday, when you came out of the market/temple/bar.

Yes, bar! the GF experience against fair payment has been commented since farangs started to stay and establish permanent trading patterns in peninsular SEA. That's over 300 years ago......

At the time, locals could also find farangs a bit goofy for upkeeping prostitutes. as i said: fascinating!!!!! :)

Aside from the well designed tree lined Bangkok streets, population size and betel nut chewing what has changed? :grinyes:

What would be more interesting is a historically documented view of foreigners from the Thai viewpoint. I can imagine if farang are considered hairy and smelly today with the use of modern personal grooming products; Thais must have thought farangs really reeked at the turn of the century when deodorants were not common.

jjsushi said:

Aside from the well designed tree lined Bangkok streets, population size and betel nut chewing what has changed? :grinyes:

What would be more interesting is a historically documented view of foreigners from the Thai viewpoint. I can imagine if farang are considered hairy and smelly today with the use of modern personal grooming products; Thais must have thought farangs really reeked at the turn of the century when deodorants were not common.

Yeah that would make some interesting reading and open up some debating. But just when ( point me to ) has a race other than the white race published a reference such a 1911 encyclopedia? Of course it will be slanted ( pun not intended ) in their direction.

JJ is right on when you ask the question of what the Thai race thought of the farangs.

Archived