How can I start driving here?

northerner

Take the Thai Driving test. it consists of three elements:

1. The "eyes locked" test. If the tester spots you even as much as acknowledging the presence of another vehicle of any kind, you will fail.

2. The "indicator" test. You are required to clearly demonstrate that you will never indicate your intentions by indicating. Any hint of forethought before a lane change or other such action will cause you to fail.

3. The "accident" test. If you are unfortunate enough to hit anything/anybody else during the duration of your test (a higher possibility than you might think), any indication of slowing your vehicle will cause you to fail the test. God forbid if you actually stop....

If you should, however, fail the test (somebody once did in 1963), a contribution to the policemens retirement fund will correct the situation......

Forget it Northener. Suggest you get a new Brit licence and then a new International and then you'll be able to drive on a tourist visa. If you have a non-imm B then you'll be able to get a Thai license.

Never come across a situation like yours Northener.

If you had a copy of your UK licence you could get a new International licence but they are only valid in LOS for 3 months so if stopped and asked for passport, which I've never known happen, you could have problems.

If you have your National licence you get a Thai licence with little problem. You could always ask if you can do the driving test? It can't be that difficult, all the Thais do it and they can't drive!!

I've done the written test before but never had to do the actual driving competence but I don't see why they shouldn't let you?

Let's know how you go.

Nobody has come across a situation like mine, much as nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I am going to try to get a Thai licence. By all accounts the test is easy if I'm allowed to take it. But consider the embarassment if I somehow failed it.

Maybe I can then use a Thai licence to get a new UK one.

you can send your birth certificate tyhats what i did. i now have a nice new license. You need to mail it to a UK address send photos etc... I did this about 1 year ago. so no your not the first

Archived