Marraige paperwork from British embassy.

I am a UK citizen living in Thailand and am planning to marry a Thai lady next month.

A friend has told me to do this I need to first visit the British Embassy obtain "some documentation" and then visit the local amphur office.

What do I need from the embassy? What do I need to take with me to obtain this? Do I need to make an appointment or can I just turn up om spec.

I have tried phoning the embassy but no-one seems to be answering the phones for some reason.

All info gratefully appreeciated.

Check the British Embassy Web Site.

http://www.britishemb.or.th/consular/marriage.htm

It is all quite straight forward. Prepare the letter, as explained in their website, no need to make an appointment at the Embassy just turn up. It took about one hour for the Embassy Staff to prepare everything when I went in May this year. I went in the afternoon which is quieter as you do not have to wait with all the people trying to get visas.

You have to get the affirmation translated into Thai. I used a tranlator in Asok Rd where there are several to choose from.

The trip to the Thai 'Department of Consular Affairs' is much more entertaining. It's in Laksi, just off the toolway towards the airport. Be prepared to wait 1-2 hours just to be seen and then have to come back in 2-3 days to collect the paperwork duly signed / stamped by the Thai Authorities.

After that its off to the registry office. The fee paid to the registry office is a staggering 20 baht!. There is no ceremony as such, no exchange of vows, no akward questioning by the registrar, no exchange of rings, simply filling out various thai forms and signing your name a dozen times. It takes about30 minutes.

You will get two colourful wedding certificates (presumably one each!) and a schedule detailing the date, time of your marraige the names of all the particiants and the name of the registrar. You should get this translated back into English for your future reference.

Note if you do not read Thai you need another person there to witness the ceremeony. That third person must speak Thai and English.

Good Luck - I have no regrets!

Sybo

Archived