What kind of Visas are being Cracked Down on??

Savittre

quote:

Savittre

Regular

Member # 1158

Rate Member

posted October 10, 2001 11:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys,

I'm concerned about this Visa crackdown thing, here's why: I'm working in Taiwan, and it's fine, but I've really been looking into teaching in the LOS, and everything I've read (Stickman, posts on these forums, etc.) all seem to give the 'green light'. Come on and work here! they say.

I think changing the country I work in would make a nice lifestyle change. I'm lucky enough to have no responsibilities preventing me from improving the quality of my life.

Since I have plenty of English teaching experience in Taiwan, combine that with the TEFL cert I plan to get in LOS, I figure I could do OK and have a nice time in the LOS. Also, since it does matter in the LOS, I'm white skinned. I'm also a native English speaker.

Now I hear about this Visa Crackdown thing- is it a 'spanner in the works' for me? I want to go the legal route- Non-immigrant B Visa, work permit, etc. Why should they keep me out if I have all my papers etc. in order??

Basically, I like to make informed decisions -leaving Taiwan and moving to the LOS is a big decision for me!!! So, am I likely to be affected by this Visa crackdown?? Does anyone know?? Alternatively, where can I find the information I need to decide about this for myself??

This is really important to me, so thank you all for your input!!!!!

--------------------

Shake Your Foundations

-AC/DC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 86 | From: Taiwan | Registered: Jun 2001 | IP: Logged

All times are Bangkok Time

Hi Bro,

Chill, yes in some case's the Thai goverment are refusing to issue some visa's, when you see who these people are and they are trying to get Non-B visa's with bullshit paperwork then what do you expect.

Take the fucks like the British and USA goverments, who even before the 11th of last month would only issue visa's to around 57 to 63% of the Thai people who applied for them, where as with the farang it's more like 97%.(rock on LOS)

So if your paperwork is in order you should not have a problem, oh yes bear in mind with your teaching jobs, if the company hiring you is a school etc then no problem for you to get visa and work permit, just be careful of some of these ads where you get "john doe executive english needs teachers" fucking right, john doe is some farang living and working out of his Apt, has schools wanting teachers, but you will be working for him not the school and he is in no position to get your work permit.

Any where in Thailand for any job, a work permit will take no longer than 4 to 6 weeks, if the company knows, what they are doing it will take even much less time than this.

Also you should check out www.ajarn.com this is a teaching web site based in BKK.

From what I can tell, there is an overall trend of watching more closely.. For instance, if you apply for a Non-Imm "B" which technically requires paperwork, then you had better expect that you'll be asked for it.. Now, as we all know that not EVERY diplomatic post in every part of the world does everything the same, but having used the service of Thai diplomatic offices in the US and other countries, I can say for sure that I have noticed and increase in "compliance" with the official written rules... Of course, my advise has been, play it safe with visas and anything "official". You never want to be caught in and 'illegal' or 'improper' position in a foreign land. Not good.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived