Asain countries that compare favorably with Thaila

rickfarang

Are there any contries around that even begin to compare with Thailand?

My wife and I made a short trip to Taiwan a couple of weeks ago. I had not been there for seveal years. so it was interesting to contrast Taipei with Thailand, which has become my home.

Taxis - You can jump in any taxi in Taipei and they will take you anywhere in the city without argument, day or night. And they have abundant cash on hand and give the correct changefor even the largest bills with a smile -no need to ask. And some of the seat belts in the back seats even worked.

Traffic, going across town in rush hour, isn't all that bad. Its practically flying compared to the frozen evening traffic on Sukhumvit. I migh even consider owning a car or motorbike in Taipei.

The peodple one meets on the street and on the Mass Rapid Transit and bus systems in Taipei seemed to be very cold and distand compared to Bangkok, where you can still get a smile, even on the sky train. It seemed the typical way a person in Taiwan would ask you to move aside so they can walk past or move through a crowd is throw a body block. None of this smiling and stooping while waling past - just WHAM and you're out of the way (happened on numberous occasions).

When we went to the National Place Museum, we were told to put out money away. The price is 120 NT (about 130 Baht) for locals, BUT FOREIGNERS GET IN FREE. Ok, maybe double-pricing isn't such a bad thing when you are on the good end of it all.

After 5 days in Taipei, it felt really good to get home again.

Archived