canada visa: How?

This is the first time I use this site but I hope someone will be able to help me.

Here's my situation: I tried to get a tourist visa for my thai girlfriend to come to Canada but the embassy completely laught at us. I had a garantee from my family in Canada, a reasonable bank account for myself, a house, evrything. My lady had a high school diploma and papers from her ex employer ( she been working as a secretary for a lawyer firm for 2 years but stopped 2 months before our interview). We had many others documents.

Im 25 years old, so is my girldfriend, Im canadian citizen and I have been living in thailand since august 2000. We been together since last december.

We waited 1 month to get an interview. At the interview, the thai interviewer DIDNT EVEN LOOK AT MY PAPERS. She looked the papers of my girlfriend and said that I shouldnt hope to get any kind of visa for her because:

SHE HAD NOT SATISFIED THE VISA OFFICER THAT SHE HAD SUFFICIENT TIES TO HER NATIVE COUNTRY TO PROVIDE HER WITH SUFFICIENT MOTIVATION TO RETURN AFTER HER VISIT.

After the interview they told her not to try again, we would only lose money. They told me even if I had millions of dollars, it would not help.

What I am supposed to do? We love each other and I know her long and well enough to know she is the good one for me. I wouldnt mind getting married if that help for any kind of visas. Is getting married makes it easy to get an immigrant visa?? Is having a baby ( just wondering)or she being pregnant will help??

I need answers so I can know where I am going.Appreciate a lot.

I am American but I assume that the policies are similar. If she hadn't quit her job, her chances would have increased significantly. The burden is on the tourist to prove that they have substantial ties to Thailand which will deter them from staying past their visa expiration date. It is irrelevant whether you are rich or poor. I would suggest that you either bring her over on a Fiancee Visa (I'm not sure if Canada has that) or just marry her in Thailand and bring her over as your wife. Do you have the income requirements to bring her over? Do not have a child, this will not make a difference!

Geronemo,

As Jaybloom said, there is indeed a fiance visa here in Canada. There is a lot of info. on the web about this, but one site I have used a fair bit in the past is Mr. Cohen's (a Montreal Immigration lawyer) at:

http://canadavisa.com/documents/family/index.htm

Our gov't official immigration web site is at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

I am not sure what your finances are, but I think if your are engaged only, you need to prove you can support her. If you are married, this requirement is waived.

I got a lot of Chinese friends here in Canada; they sponsor spouses and fiances all the time without problems.

One other thing: if this bastard in our embassy is acting unprofessional in any way, get him name and tell your MP about it - sometimes this gets results. No way our civil service should be treating us this way (God-damn hosers!)

Good Luck,

JG

Great info on the fiancee visa.. I was seaching the government site and never found any.

I have been working with the canadian embassy off and on in bkk since 1998 and it is very strict and hence inefficient. The horror stories I have heard would shock you.

I myself and just starting to arrange getting a visa for my fiancee and will let you know what will happen.. 3 weeks from now I am scheduled to have lunch at a function with the ambassador so maybe something will comeup smile.gif" border="0

In June of 2000 I tried to get a Tourist Visa for my girlfriend and they turned her down saying that she had no reason to return to Canada. They did however say that she could apply again if her circumstances changed. In January of 2001 we got married and just before we got married I put the land I had on Koh Samui into her name. In April we applied for a tourist visa and she was granted one. I am not sure if the fact we were married or that she had land was the deciding factor. We are now in Canada and I am applying for landed immigrant status, which means I will have to stay in Canada until it is complete. This will be the first winter in 30 years I will be stuck in Canada. Samuigeorge.

Samuigeorge,

Good luck with the PR status. I am sure it will come through - I mean good luck that it will come through quickly. You know, I talk with lots of Asians who have immigrated here. Near as I can figure, it truly is a matter of luck how fast our Immigration Dept. processes the paperwork. Some get it in a month or two, others have to wait for a year or more - doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

You sure picked a bad winter to come back. I have been freezing my butt off the last few days, and it is still only October! Seems like we skipped right over Autumn this year.

I was thinking: to get the best of both worlds, you should spend summer here and winter in the LOS. Did you consider coming here next April or May to wait out the PR processing?

JG

Geronemo,

You say you are living with your girlfriend.

Do you have or can get any thing from your employer that lists your girlfriend as your spouse? Something like a letter stating they pay the rent on your condo for yourself and wife. You could try walking that past the embassy, and it may work, if you can establish that you are "married" to her, you may fare better.

Very strange,

When I went in with my girlfriend I had no money to speak of and an interview was granted the day after we applied. After figuring we weren't trying to pull a scam my GF was given a visa. Did you talk with a Canadian or a Thai. I would file a complaint and stess that you will return to Thailand. It really shouldn't be a problem.

Archived