Update: US Citizenship for baby and DNA testing

I was reading through an old post where I had written this:

I intend to claim American citizenship for my daughter. To ensure that there's as much evidence as possible, we decided on a DNA test.

Just thought I'd post a quick update on this based on my experiences in September.

Turns out that the American Consular Section will not accept a DNA test performed in Thailand unless it has been done under their supervision. Their exact words were to the effect that "a DNA test is the last thing we'd ask you for" in a standard situation of Consular Report of Birth Abroad application.

So, if you father a child in Thailand and want to get citizenship for it, don't rely on a DNA test as the evidence of paternity. You'll need the more "traditional" stuff: pictures of you together with the mother to prove that you have some kind of valid relationship, documentary evidence of same; plus you need evidence that you were physically persent in the US for certain required stretches of time.

In our case we supplied a couple of pics, phone bills showing calls from me in the US to her in Thailand; and I had an expired passport stretching back 10 years to really cement the physical presence thing.

Once they acecpted the evidence at the appointment, my daughter's passport was issued about 5 days leter.

One more thing: you have to make an appointment *in advance* for this -- they run about 6 weeks out so plan ahead!

Just FYI.

TEDBKK--

I'm suprised that they did not want some form of "scientific or laboratory test" to prove parentage... I DO understand that they wouldn't accept a test done without their supervision, that makes sense.. But NOT wanting a DNA test.. that's suprising...

I guess whatever they want, they get.. Glad to hear you got the passport..

As one "eastsider" to another, congratualtions!

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

can't understand why you bothered with a DNA test at all.Every other country I have heard of just accepts that you are the father if you claim to be. The only time I have heard of a DNA test being used is when the father actually doubts his parentage and has used his own country's law as an excuse to get one done. Now if the mother finds out that is why it was done, you are in for one hell of a time in earbashing etc.

Archived