One more recipe

Jook is actually Chinese. It is similar to the Thai Khao Tom but thicker and less flavorful.

Here are two recipes:

1/2 cup long grain rice

1/2 cup glutinous rice

5 quart chicken broth

1 lb ground pork

1 tablespoon dark soy sauce

1 teaspoon salt

2 each green onion stalks

12 each water chestnuts

Rinse rice 2 or 3 times. Soak overnight. Mince green onions and water chestnuts. Mix with ground pork, soy sauce and salt. Bring stock and rice to a boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the rice breaks down completely and the soup becomes thick and creamy. Turn heat up and add ground pork mixture, shaping 1 tsp at a time into a small ball and dropping it into the soup. Cook for 5 minutes or until pork balls are done.

1 c Long grain rice

3 qt Stock

2 tb Minced Chinese preserved turnip

1 sl Ginger root, minced

1 Piece tangerine peel, soaked to soften and minced

Salt

GARNISH

Chopped green onion

Chopped coriander

Sliced preserved ginger

Sliced tea melon

Combine rice, stock, preserved turnip, ginger and tangerine peel in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered for approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the rice is thoroughly broken up. Stir occasionally to prevent soup from sticking and add boiling water if necessary. When done, soup should be thick and creamy. Add salt to taste and garnish with any or all of the suggested garnishes.

VARIATIONS: Just before serving, add cooked chicken, pork, ham or beef. Or with rice add diced forest mushrooms, soaked to soften or dried shrimp.

Brink,

yup...I think that 1st recipe you gave it close or exact.

I use to garnish it with fish sauce..ginger(which may be perserved noticing your second recipe), chile powder....and the regular 4 bottle condiments youd see everywhere.

Loved the stuff, coming back from a border run I'd get it everytime for 20 baht a pop.

Brink, do you have any recipes you love???? I'd like to hear them.

Archived