Which ESPN/Star Footie Commentators Do You Like?

frogpatrol

Since so many of us watch ESPN/STAR here in Asia, I was wondering what board members thought of some of the different commentators and frequent guests (often from SKY).

Who do you like? Hate? Why?

Some of my thoughts follow: (5 stars = best)

Shebby Singh: Highly opinionated, often abrasive, and sometimes makes me want to throw my beer bottle at the tele. Can be very blunt. I still remember him saying "Campo, he is too fat to play this level." Still, he seems to have a fairly broad knowledge of intl footie, at least over the last decade or so.

3 stars out of 5

Jamie Reeves: The classic footie academic. Well prepared, knowledgable of tactical issues, and often with insightful commentary. Excellent knowledge of Asian footie. One of my favorites.

4.5 stars out of 5

Scott O'Donell: Not on the tele often these days due to managerial duties in Asia, but not missed by me. I have never seen a commentator read off his notes, and not look at the camera, as much as Scott O. Never said much original, and often lulled me to sleep. Maybe has a future in children's bedtime stories?

1 star out of 5

John Dykes: The presenter of "football focus", and a good one. I want his job!

4 stars as a presenter; not applicable as commentator

Gerry Armstrong: By far my favorite, despite his Tottenham roots. His predictions more often than not are correct, and his analyses appear to be well balanced. A proven N. Ireland international who brings years of experience to the studio. His muscle shirts can be a bit much, but so be it.

5 stars out of 5

Paul Masefield: Does he ever have anything useful or original to stay? Ever predict a match correctly? Can anyone suck up to other commentators, especially Beresford, more than this guy? Send him to Oman!

0 stars out of 5

Andy Gray: Love him or hate him, this Everton Scot knows his footie. Probably one of the best football commentators in the UK.

4 stars out of 5

John Beresford: Beresford irritates the hell out of me. I can't deny that unlike many of the others above, he has had his day with big clubs such as Newcastle. Still, his arrogance is too much.

2.5 stars out of 5

And a few others....

Alan Brazil? Having some problems these days. Thoughts?

Martin Tyler: Some say he is the best in the business. Agree?

Cheers,

froggo

I'd like to give you my opinion on them but don't exactly know what head matches what name.

4 guys I like to hear..Gerry Armstrong (alias teletubby), Jamie Reeves (horse head?), Shebby and the curly guy...Paul?

The others aren't too bad.

Archived