Thai DL translated in Bangkok?

All--

Sorry for the repetitive post, but I can't seem to get the search function to give me what I know is here somewhere..

I need to know where to go & what is the procedure for having my Thai Drivers License translated into English by the local authoritities.. I think it's the the dept of Land Transport but i could be wrong..

Any of you local know? Please post! Will be most thankful

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

elf--

This is my first one, so it's blue and (as I understand) you can't have an Int'l DL until you have had your Thai DL for at least one full year... However, I remember that I can have this cuurent one (the first blue card) translated and stamped "officialdom" at some gov't department and that will (in most cases) work as your Int'l DL...

I've contacted three US states and all three said that they would accept my Thai DL... IF... it was accompanied by an official translation...

So, does anyone know where this can be done and the costs/process??

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

My wife had a new(less than one year) driver's license before she came to the US which is accepted by Colorado as long as she is not a permanent resident. She had it translated at "We are the World Language & Computer" 5/57 Sukhumvit 71 Phrakanong, Bangkok, 10110 telephone 392-7902

I was not aware of any kind of official translation. She was never stopped by the police while using this license so I cannot be sure how acceptable it would be. I did have her carry with her the DMV Law which stated that her foreign license is acceptable. The section of the law was in the DMV book which you study to take the written test. It was under the section "Who needs a license in Colorado" and "Who does not need a license in Colorado" ie., military, foreign visitors,

out of state college students, etc. Jay

I couldn't imagine a local American police officer having any idea regarding an official government translation vs. a translation service. When the DMV's that you spoke to said that they need an official government translation, I think that they just say "official government" as knee jerk reaction. Just like with the guys on this board, they could be in a corn field in Iowa and all of a sudden they smell something that reminds them of Thailand and before you know it they are at the travel agent's office, just a natural reaction.

If its of any help:

I had some documents translated by

Interlanguage Translation center, from thai to english.

the put a thai "notery" type stamp on each page, it was done for U.S. embassy, so I think they are reputable.

it was vittaya branch 2 near U.S. embassy

650 789102..

as I recall, did not cost much for several pages,and did it while I waited. ( about 30 minutes total)

Archived