Study visas?

ranma500

In spite of all the horror stories, and in spite of experiences of my own, I would like to bring my Thai girlfriend over to the U.K.

But I do have a number of concerns.

1. I think the circumstances of our relationship and her own problems mean that one has to be realistic about the chances of a relationship 'working'. I think it will be tough. I am prepared to give it my all. But I'm not entirely sure that will be enough.

2. I have no idea how she would react to the U.K., to the cold, to the diet, to the people etc. She may hate it.

3. I do not want to bring her over, promising a lifelong commitment, find that it doesn't work, and then have to send her home. I think this would be very unfair to her.

4. If she is to come over, she should benefit in some way from the trip, and I think it would be better if at least some of her time was occupied during her stay.

I have hit upon an idea - to offer her the chance to come to England to study English for three months.

I would enrol her for three hours a day in an English school (the minimum to qualify her for a study visa). This would be for a set three-month period, and I would make it clear to her that this was all that I can afford.

If during that time, our relationship does not work out, she can go back as planned, with her skills improved, and without feeling rejected, or 'losing face' back home.

Should we find that our attraction lasts, and she wants to stay, then obviously we can consider a more permanent solution.

I don't want to sound cynical, or doom the relationship to failure, but I am hesitant to get a fiancee visa. This strikes me as a bit too much too soon.

I do love this girl, but I do not know her as well as I need before making a commitment. When I make that commitment, I want to be at least reasonably sure that I can live up to it.

I believe that study visas are almost instant if approved, with no waiting time, and a lot less hassle.

I have all the forms which ask for proof of enrolment, proof of support, her school qualifications etc.

The visa request is quite legitimate really. She would study, and she would be booked to go home. The plan would not be to keep her here illegally beyond the end of that visa.

But, my question is:

Will the Embassy think I am just using the study visa to get my girlfriend into the country, and therefore reject it?

Should she say I am her boyfriend, or should we claim a more platonic relationship?

Does anyone know what the purpose of the interview is? What are they trying to find out? What should she not say? Of course she must stress her eagerness to study, and the reasons for studying in England, but what about 'us'?

Has anyone tried this route, or got any advice regarding the process of obtaining study visas.

Thanks.

ranma

I don't want to comment in too much detail on this minefield but.....and I would like to stress that my girlfriend had a visa to study here long before I ever met her.

1 big hint is don't let her tell them about friends and familly here as they can take thhat as a reason to remain here. My girl was so paranoid about this that her aunt he is resident here would not come to meet her at the airport!!

I also have another friend who is well qualified from a chinese thai (read rich!!) familly who has a degree etc etc and she got turned down twice for a visa to study here.

Anyway enough of my negativity and good luck!!!

ranma500,

Is she a BG? If she is not, ignore what I am saying here or even delete my post if you wish.

If she is a BG, your hospitality, air ticket and covering of study expenses may not be enough. You would have to give her 20 or so thousand bahts per month she would have earned had she stayed in BKK.

The fact that she will be improving herself without having to f*** with anyone who pays the barfine does not really matter to them. Whatever problem had brought her to the bar is still there, unresolved.

In short - anything that takes them away from their everyday's source of income must be (moneywise) equal or better than that. That's my experience.

Honestly, 300 quids per month for her to take home is not all that much, you would give her that or more anyway.

Down to the bone, you'll be getting 30 or so LTs per month with the girl you like.

No expensive drinks, taxis, barfines and accommodation. Only that goes to 1000 punds per month anyway. She will well earn her keep in the UK.

Wish you both great time and all the luck.

Yes, I understand this.

If a girl has responsibilities and financial liabilities in Thailand, going to another country does not remove those.

This girl is a little unusual in that her father disappeared long ago, and her mother has been married in Scandinavia for a number of years.

There is a grandmother and a brother, but I understand that the mother sends them money, and sometimes sends her money too.

I have written in another post how the only money she ever asked me to send was 20 baht!!!

Whether of course this turns out to be the case if the plan become reality, we shall see. But I don't really want to 'buy' her for three months. If she comes, the only duty I would require of her is that she actually attends the school. I don't think I have any right to demand sexual favours. As you say, if I pay her for her trip, she is not really a girlfriend, I have just bought her for a very 'long time'.

I have posted to the Thailand-UK group. I will be interested on their advice also.

Thanks.

Interesting idea. Do you think she wants to study English? Does she show any interest in it? If you two continue to hit it off will you marry her so that she can stay in the UK or will you just sponsor her for further language study? Does she show an interest in a career for which English is useful? You didn't answer the question as to whether she is a bargirl. The US immigration people, at any rate, do not want to let bargirls in on any basis.

With respect to the US, I have heard the recommendation that you not marry too quickly after her arrival on a student visa because it could be construed as visa fraud. However, a student visa is not too difficult to get since enrolling foreign students is big business. If they are like the US INS agents, they won't care too much about your involvement, unless she says that she is going there with the intention to marry you, which is not the purpose of a student visa.

Interesting idea. Do you think she wants to study English? Does she show any interest in it? If you two continue to hit it off will you marry her so that she can stay in the UK or will you just sponsor her for further language study? Does she show an interest in a career for which English is useful? You didn't answer the question as to whether she is a bargirl. The US immigration people, at any rate, do not want to let bargirls in on any basis.

With respect to the US, I have heard the recommendation that you not marry too quickly after her arrival on a student visa because it could be construed as visa fraud. However, a student visa is not too difficult to get since enrolling foreign students is big business. If they are like the US INS agents, they won't care too much about your involvement, unless she says that she is going there with the intention to marry you, which is not the purpose of a student visa.

Archived