Have you met any atheist Budhists?

Buddhism in practise incorporates existing forms of believe in the particular cultures to teach people the way of dhamma.

In tibet it incorporated tantrism and the bon religion. Some forms of Chinese mahajana like in the pure land buddhism taoist alchemy is a part of. zen is very japanese.

I don't know if there is something like orthodox buddhism existing, but within the different buddhist traditions the more advanced forms of meditation are so esotheric that only few monks can actually follow them. For the average lay people following the simple buddhist dammha is difficult enough. Monks use amulets and spirit believe to make it easier for lay people to do that.

Originally posted by JEff:

"Yes, all of them. By definition. Budhists do not believe in God."

That's correct. "Atheist" comes from Greek a-theos, "no god". Buddhism has no god, though many of its followers have elevated Buddha to a god-like state. This of course completely contradicts the essence of the religion. Buddha never asked to be worshipped, nor did he want anyone or anything else worshipped.

In the usual Thai context, though, "atheist" means someone who doesn't give a damn about religion, any form of religion. And there are very, very few Thais who would fit this description. When Thais ask me if I'm Christian, which they expect me to be, I say no, I don't have any religion. Most of the time they are pretty incredulous, wondering how someone could possibly exist without religion - as if it were as necessary as oxygen and food.

Scum,

Why limit it to the Thai context? In any context, you're talking about an agnostic - not an athiest.

Otherwise, I agree with you; on the whole, the Thai people are a very religious lot.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

In the usual Thai context, though, "atheist" means someone who doesn't give a damn about religion, any form of religion.

The Paknam wat, the original Dhammakaya centre, is the one in the book by Richard Randall, life as a Siamese monk. He was the first Brit to be ordained as a monk in Thailand. In the book he describes landing at Don Muang in 1954 with £2 10 shillings on him and driving from the airport along dirt roads. He goes through villages full of teak houses and kids playing by the road. Bangkok does not get described as he heads straight for the wat. The book is a good read esp the meditaion experiences on his four month retreat.

They have a wat in wimbledon and several in the USA. -peter

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

Dhammakaya has really got a lot of bad press, since it's sort of the Thai yuppies new faith. Yes, it's a bit removed from traditional Theravada Buddhism,

As for as the meditational practices of Dhammakaya, I've heard plenty of praise for them.

Originally posted by Peter G:

"The Paknam wat, the original Dhammakaya centre, is the one in the book by Richard Randall, life as a Siamese monk."

That temple, Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen, located in Thonburi, has a life-size wax figure of the founder of Dhammakaya, Luang Phor Sod. He died in 1959. It's actually quite a picturesque little temple, loacated by a klong, and not at all ostentatious like the one that they built later.

Often, the founders of movements/religions etc. are really enlightened (in the broadest sense of the word) people; but more often than not their followers screw things up. Didn't they want to build a figure of Luang Phor Sod made out of three tons of gold?

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

quote:

Originally posted by flyonzewall:

would be nice if they would get rid of the guards in front of their temple who screen out the poor and let only the people in who are able to make the big donations. i have even met monks who have not been allowed entry because they came from simple forestmonastries.

You figured out who is god in Thailand: MONEY. And any whorship is targeted to get more of it. Most thais do not have a clue of buddism.

Archived