Obtaining a US VISA

HSTEACH--

For clarification, isn't correct that a citizen of a particular country MUST lodge their application at the American diplomatic post in their HOME country?

In the case of a third country resident (Thai national living [legally] in Singapore) that this person can file in EITHER their HOME country or country of RESIDENCE..

I do know that American Embassies reserve the right to refuse (not adjudicate) an application that comes from a non-national and/or non-resident of that particular country. [Ex. Thai citizen living in BKK, tries to apply at embassy in Mexico City]

You agree?

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer...I'm not really sure, but I'll dig around the State Dept. website and try to find an answer. I would think that a Thai citizen living or residing legally in another country with status similar to the US's Green Card, ie,permanent residence in that country but not a citizen of that country by naturalization, he or she could apply for a B2 in that country. I'll look for the answer to be sure.

HSTEACH--

Let me know what you find... I'm almost sure that you need to be either a) Citizen of country X or B) Legal resident of country X in order to apply for a visa from the US Embassy in country X...

Post what you find!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Scams,

Because terrorists have a lot of knowledge and resources at their disposal, not available to the average visa applicant, to find and exploit weak points and lapses in the system?

And because while many terrorists may try and fail to get in, only a few need to be successful to accomplish their objective and make the news?

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by land o' scams:

Why is it so hard for everyone to get into the U.S. except for terrorists?

UPSer.... You are correct in that a person who is a legal resident of any country must apply for a US B2 visa in that country of his/her residency. The exceptions are if that national of another country has legal status in another country or if the US Embassy/Consulate of his/her legal country does not issue visas in that country. In general most Thais unless they have legal status in another country must apply in Thailand.

Archived