Thai's outlook on death?

I would like some insight on the Thai's view of death?

With the driving and the 'no big deal' when seeing a dead body in the street and all.

sanuk!

Agree with LP

Same same as West, death is part of life, the Thais accept it same as us.

Maybe the only difference is that Thai's dont seem to think that the Body is the person we once knew.

But that is my personal view and maybe not right, in seven years of visiting LOS I have only experienced the death of a close family member once.

Hi,

Hard question.

On the surface, it might appear that Thai's have a more blase' attitude to this, than Western counterparts. But I've come to realize different, through many experiences. They are same as anyone else, in my experience, concerning the devastation to their lives, following a death of someone they care about. While they may be a little more pragmatic about it all, they are no less affected than you, or me, might be.

One example is girl I know, who's only brother died in moto accident. Totally fucked up for an entire year. Went into an absolute shell, which she is only now coming out of. It has totally destroyed her whole life, up to this point in time.

And I can also tell you, that when my g/f's grandmother dies, she will be a complete basket case. Her love of this woman is so complete, and all-encompassing, it is sometimes hard to understand. I dread that day, and what pieces I will have to pick up, in the aftermath.

In the end, I think Thai's have a very realistic approach to death, more so, than Westerner's. But because of their close attachment to family (more so than many other cultures), it can hit home very, very deep.

It is a culture of extremes. Seems to me, that it is either a 'mai pen rai' attitude towards death with them, or an almost suicidal reaction. Just my take on it all, anyway.

HT

Have to think that the reality of it is closer to home for many/most Thais. Probably more people die at home than in Farangland.

Other thing I remember is that the Thai ex was absolutely horrified at the thought that if she died in the U.S., she would be put in the ground rather than cremated.

Hi nkped,

Again, I have to defer to what g/f told me a long time ago.

Initialy, many are put into a 'plastic' box??? in the ground on family land. But then later dug up, and cremated, as land is very precious, and needed more for planting. From what I gathered from conversations, only the wealthy can afford to have loved one's 'buried forever'. Cremation is the norm there, from what little I know. But initial burials (I think one year??), seemed to be common place, until finally dug up, and 'cooked'.

The 'plastic box' stands out in my mind, though. I think is because wood will rot, and bugs can attack, so they use a plastic casket. I was really surprised to hear this, but remember gf's explaination making good sense. Maybe because they still want to view body after one year? I forget! Situation was explained to me 2 years ago. ::

I'm sure someone here, knows more than me, about this.

HT

Archived