Transfer of car ownership

Roger

I am about to purchase a second hand car and was wondering if anyone could

tell me the process I need to go through to change registration. I am in

full time employment, have a work permit and live in rented accommodation

(so no house registration documents). Any information will be appreciated.

Cheers

Roger

You need a letter from your embassy staing you live here and a copy of your passport, front page,detail page and probably visa page. Then of course you need the original owners, details, copy of his ID card and the transfer form signed by him. Go along to the registry where the car has been issued its plates from and away you go. Its difficult without someone who can write /Read Thai but not impossible.

you can get teh residence paper from immigration for 500 Baht, it's 1,500 at the Brit Embassy.

Check that the engine number and the chassis number match what is on the registration book. A mate of mine bought a second hand car and when he came to sell it 2 years later discovered they didn't match and couldn't transfer it. The guy he bought it off claimed to know nothing about it but it's clear he had the transfer "fixed"

The mayor, Good advice, even the colours have to match that in the rego book. But like everything else a little money always make the problems disappear, although better to avoid the problem in the 1st inst.

Plse forgive the breach of ettiquite, I should have addressed you as

Your Worshipof course.

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: Fatbastard ]

Archived