Rental-contract blues

Paillote

After about five months time I've informed my landlord that I must stop renting his apartment. I have a 12 month contract, so I guess he would be entitled to keep my deposit of B45000,- Though, in the English translation of my contract the following is stated: "The lessor will refund the gurantee money if the lessee wishes to cancel the Agreement before schedule due to business difficulties and the lesse can find others to rent the place instead according to conditions and rates to be agreed upon with the new lessee and when the new agreement is counceeded."

Well, I did not even have a chance to find a new lesse, as the lessor did. Is he then entitled to keep my deposit? He insists on keeping B15000,- of it, and I find that unreasonable since he does not loose any money. The problem is he sits on the deposit. Is it anything I can do, or should I just take the remaining 30000,- and be happy with it?

Paillote

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

If it were happening to another thai, chances are the place would get trashed on leaving, and the landloard would get a visit by some hired thugs.

I guess he has thought about that as well, as he will not pay back the deposit before a month after I have left. I thought about about calling international with no restrictions the last weeks I stay here, but I can't...

Paillote

quote:

Originally posted by Paillote:

as he will not pay back the deposit before a month after I have left.

Is this also in your contract?

If not, then demand your money on the day you leave. This has happened to me before and i caused a scene in the office and even threatened calling the police. It worked. If it is not in the contract then he has no right to keep the money for a month, it is your money after all.

Sometimes you just have to be a bad mannered farang, otherwise you will be treated like some local who never complains!

Well, you could look at as a form of thai "haggeling" over the price.

you could say, you want $XX back and he may counter with an offer, and so on.

Just the way it goes.

I think it is just part of the thai "system" to pull crap like this, just to see what they can get away with.

Please let us know the end result.

quote:

Originally posted by Paillote:

I guess he has thought about that as well, as he will not pay back the deposit before a month after I have left. I thought about about calling international with no restrictions the last weeks I stay here, but I can't...

Are you talking about not giving you the B30,000 until a month after you leave or what remains of the B15000 after he has paid all the outstanding bills.

I honestly think he has been quite generous - you have broken the contract, not him, and, yes, I think he would probably be legally within his rights to keep the lot as, whether it was your fault or not, you have not found a new lessee as stated in the contract.

Of course he has to hang on to a reasonable amount to cover the bills, such as international phone calls, which don't arrive until after you have gone, what else is he supposed to do. He is also now left with the task of cleaning, redecorating etc and having the apartment sitting empty for an indefinite period of time.

I don't see what the problem is here!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Are you talking about not giving you the B30,000 until a month after you leave or what remains of the B15000 after he has paid all the outstanding bills.

I don't see what the problem is here!

LG

If I was unclear: He is holding on to all the money. 30000 I will get back when he have verified that all outstanding bills are paid. 15000 he will keep for himself. I will have to clean and fix things up before I leave. Why on earth should I pay him 15000? I had to pay rent until the next lesee is coming in, even though I am not staying. I have fixed up the apartment to be in better shape than when I came (he broke his promise to pay my expenses). He does not loose a single bath. Only thing different is that he will have a new name on his rental contract. The new renter actually contacted the owner himself, so he did not have to lift a finger to get him. If anyone have broken any contract, it is not me. Read the qoute from the contract again.

Paillote

OK, well there is a whole lot more information there that wasn't in your original post and I can understand you being a bit put out BUT when I read:

"The lessor will refund the gurantee money if the lessee wishes to cancel the Agreement before schedule due to business difficulties and ***the lesse can find others to rent the place instead*** according to conditions and rates to be agreed upon with the new lessee and when the new agreement is counceeded."

I still think he has you over a barrel as you have clearly stated that you did NOT do that.

LG

Archived