BANGKOK FR 2-8 AUG 2004:DAY 6, 7 AND IMPRESSIONS

DAY SIX, SEVEN AND LASTING IMPRESSIONS

More shopping today, primarily for some silk ties which I picked up for 99bht each.

I was sitting near a park watching the work pass by whilst enjoying an ice cold coke and cigarette when I was approached by one of the tourist police hold a butt he?d picked up from the group near by bench. He asked me for my passport, to which I told him it was at my hotel. He then said I had to come with him to his kiosk, presumably to extract some fine or other. When I said ?why? he seemed a little perplexed and sat down on the bench with me explaining that you ?don?t go to the toilet in Thailand?. Fortunately I was able to show him the butt of the cigarette I had smoked which I had extinguished in my now empty coke can. He then moved off rather sheepishly. I don?t know whether this was a genuine mistake on his part or a little attempt to extract a backhander. I suppose it could have been either, but would like to think it the former of the two.

Having to be up early for my flight on Sunday I very reluctantly decided not to go out on Saturday night, but have some room service and watch a couple of movies.

DAY SEVEN

Checked out of the hotel and hailed a cab to the airport taking the toll road. Brought my duty free allowance of cigs and aftershave before progressing very efficiently through all check-ins and security. Slept nearly all the flight back after using the sleeping aid I had acquired earlier in the week.

LASTING IMPRESSIONS

Bangkok is one of the most fascinating cities I have every visited. As a newbie experience it is awesome and I suppose only repeated visits will show whether or not it is possible to tire of the place. I was struck by how clean the streets were despite there being in parts an unsavoury stink in some parts which might have only been down to the rain that had arrived for periods of the visit. There are many beggars, but I don?t think an abundance of them. Of course I was moved to see the child beggars which I could not help to be moved by. Above all what stood out for me was that despite Bangkok being a vibrant, bustling city the people themselves seemed relatively at ease with themselves and each other than any western city I can think of. To those who like me until very recently have not visited Bangkok I think it is a ?must do?. Hopefully I will have the fortune of experiencing their hospitality again in the not too distant future.

Thanks to all those who?ve read the reports.

It's always fun to re-experience that first trip to Bkk thru someone elses eyes. "Overpaying" becomes an obsession with many on this board, but you did OK; it's all relative anyway.

If money is an issue for your next trip, Eva has a "Delux Economy" class with seats more comfortable than economy at a considerably lower price than first class. That said, if I could afford first, I'd fly it!

Thanks for an entertaining series of reports.

David

Bangor,

Not a bad little series of reports - easy to read and not too long on the gory details, which I prefer (some trip reports appear to be the work of wannabe sex novelists ::)

You come over as a middle-aged fairly conservative Englishman, am I correct?

lol, yes i am fairly conservative on most issues other than sexual freedom but i'm only 31 so not quite middle aged yet. but i guess that's probably how i do come across so not a bad guess m8

Archived