Exchanged Email with Benjawan Becker

zanemay

I want to buy "Thai For Advanced Readers" but I can only find it with audio cassette tapes in stores or on the web. I sent an email to Benjawan to the effect that I would like to buy the book, but does she have a CD for the audio portion? Of if she doesn't, can she make one up for me?

A week later she emailed back, "I am sorry that I didn't email you before this, but I was in Thailand. Unfortunately there are not enough students now for that course, so we only have tape."

The bad news is that from her response, I conclude that she is abandoning publication of the Advanced course, because putting out audio in an obsolete format is tantamount to giving up the product - at least the audio support portion. I realize that publication of Thai language books is not big business and that her Beginner's, Intermediate and Thai for Lovers titles sell much better than Advanced Readers. Without a big audience, it would require an unprofitable investment to produce and repackage a series with CDs. But still, it is a shame if we lose any of her work.

I'll buy the Advanced Readers and try to find someone to transfer the audio to CD for me.

I'll buy the Advanced Readers and try to find someone to transfer the audio to CD for me.

Hi Zanemay,

You can easily do that yourself. Just hook up a tapedeck to the microphone jacket in your PC and get some software to capture it - total recorder would be my choice. I have done this for the language course my GF had to take - no problems at all.

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived