Lost Passport?

A buddy of mine (really, not me) thinks he may have lost his passport. At this moment, he's doing a final search of his apartment. Anyway, what would be the repercussions of this? I assume he would have to go to the American embassy here in Bangkok to request a new one. Does anyone know how long a replacement might take? Would he need to deal with the police in any way? Yikes!!

One more thing . . .he has a work permit so would getting a new passport somehow invalidate his visa or require a trip to immigration? Thanks for any and all info.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: Sadebugo ]

I believe that the US Embassy can issue a new visa within a day. It helps if you have a copy of the old one.

That's the easy part. Then you've got to deal with the police and Thai immigration and the Labor Department. Your friend will need to file a police report. This is a fairly simple matter, as there is a desk in most police stations expressly for reporting "missing documents". Takes all of ten minutes.

Then he'll need to take the new passport with the police report to immigration to have the proper stamps applied. Then his work permit will have to be updated by the Labor Department to reflect the new passport information.

If he already has a work permit, the company he works for probably has a lawyer that keeps it up to date. They'll be able to smooth out the whole process. The people at the American Citizen Services section at the US Embassy are also well acquainted with the procedure and should be able to advise him.

The main thing is it's just a pain in the butt to do all that over again. No way around it though. Hope he finds it. I had a neighbour whose wife's passport was stolen three times whilst riding the trains in India. Pickpockets got it out of her purse on three seperate visits. Got so the UK Embassy would only give her a temporary passport!

If your friend is unable to go to the Embassy on Monday, I would say it would be a good idea to tell him to ring the Embassy on Monday morning just to report it missing. Some embassies will take details of the missing passport over the phone.

It makes it easier in case it was lost and someone else has used it.

All-

I agree that the first thing that should be done is to be sure that your embassy knows that you've lost it.. My friend lost his passport in Manila and not more than five hours later someone had altered it and was attempting to use to get on a plane for LA!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

What about your visa status? If you lost your passport do you get an instant VISA for 30 days? Or are you still on your old visa? What if your on overstay already and lost your passport? Like me just lost mine!!! oh shit!

Archived