XP Service pack 2

Guest baldrick

Hamokhamok said:

If you use Microsoft Update - automatic update --- then you'll be automatically given the opportunity of downloading the Service Pack 2.

This actuallyhappened to me last night. The baeuty of this automatic downloading is that you don't have to wait until it downloads completely.

For those who want to keep on running automatic update, and block SP2 follow the link. This is a typical scenario when installing a new PC, and you know that you have an application with issues, or one which has not been tested yet.

Block SP2 update from Windows update

Cheers!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Khun_kong, start at www.microsoft.com and search the way yourself. Try "block Sp2".

There is no way I can rename a static Microsoft link, if thats what you are suggesting... I did at this board rules says, put in a text to display the name of link and put the link in URL field, should not break up your display.

The reason SP2 on automatic update via Windows update was delayed, was to to get sys admins to manage to block SP2 if needed. There is an block script, and an unblock one. Don't know what you are trying to say - but either you install it or not and my suggestion was how to avoid if and still run Windows update if wanted. If you don't want Windows update - simple - disable it.

And frankly - I agree with MS here. If you bloody well want security - learn the RUN AS command in Windows XP, and log in as an user without admin rights.

Furthermore, the worst threat to wrecking your PC is probably thats its used by incompetent people other than you. Family etc (if you are not the dummy yourself). Running as admin there is a disaster waiting to happen.

The firewall issue is not new in SP2. Its the same one which was in SP1, MS has improved it. That PC mag article has nothing new. As it has been pointed out here before - other firewalls are better. Think it was Carlton who wrote that.

Looks like, from security POV, load it. You might still have to tweak around with some of your softwares to make them run properly.

I guess this was sort of a bad hybrid article, i.e.:

the info is much more valuable for the less tech-geek users, who, understandably, just don't have a clue of what new precautions to take every week.

But, it is written in the tech-geek language that those who need it most cannot understand!

Archived