Visa advice for Thai GF going to visit USA?

I believe she has to get a B2 visa in the country of her residence. As far as congressional intervention in getting a visa, i think you'd be wasting your time. They can inquire on the status of a pending petition with the USCIS, but cannot and will not get involved with the Department of State which actually issues the visas.

khunem said:

I've read that enlisting the aid of one's congress-person is of little help? Is that really the case?

Yes. The law is quite clear about the requirements for a visa and about the authority and responsibility that consular officers have in implementing the law. A Congressman has no influence over a consular officer, and they shouldn't have.

khunem said:

Also, is it easier/possible to go to some other country where she is more easily admitted (e.g. Singapore) and get the visa from the US embassy there?

Maybe, I don't know, but I hope not! I think that, particularly post 9/11, consular officers would be uncomfortable processing such visa applications.

Grabii

From what you have said she would not qualify on her own and any connection to you will be a total negative (here in non work status on border runs).

If there are mistakes made a congressman can help to correct. He can not do more.

Application outside of Thailand will not make it easier and probably would not be accepted in any case.

Without employment or family help you will not even be able to get her into the USA with marriage. And in any case not before Christmas.

I have been through the process (B2 visa) with my GF (at the time) who is now my wife. Mostly same situation as you except for two things I see working against you. You do not have a long stay visa and you are not employed in Thailand. It is possible you could work around these issues but have no experience as to effectiveness.

By all means write a letter, be organized and spell out your itinerary to the letter. These things will be helpful. There is also a form you can fill out (sorry don't remember the number) that allows you to provide sponsorship information. I did my girl's without the form, simply by showing bank statements.

It would also probably help if you had some sort of joint bank accounts that would indicate the seriousness of the relationship.

The wait time is low, under 1 week and I think it was 3 days. If you PM me with your email address, I can show you a copy of the letter I used. I believe I still have it.

Went to the Embassy on Friday to submit the application. It's so convenient to have to go to a BKK post office to the pay the application fee, especially since they don't open until 8:30a and the embassy closes for applications at 9:00a. Luckily I went the day before. The interview is scheduled in 2 weeks. How do they expect Thai people to waste so much time on this?

I had so much waiting time in line I ran through all the hypothetical scenarios and came up with this: if her most compelling financial and social ties are to me would she have a better chance of getting a visa if I wasn't a USA citizen? Now that's perverse!

• 2 weeks later...

Went for the interview on Thursday. We didn't prove compelling ties so the visa was denied. Not surprised but disappointed all the same. Thanks everyone for your advice. Maybe we'll try again next month.

Archived