Fiancee visa US 2 querries

trotsky2

I have done some searching, probably should do more. A couple questions. Before I get into this process I am wondering what u think my chances are. First, it seems possible to apply for the fiancee from overseas..is this correct? Second, what kind of finances are expected from me by the consulate folks to consider her for a visa? Third, i'll search google for some q and a sites..any good ones out there? Now that I think of it I am probably wasting my time. One, I have an employment record that is unverifiable since the schools I have worked at are all illegal. Two, I haven't been back in about 4 years. Three, when I return I want to study for a masters. I reckon 5 or 10 k US ain't going to cut it. I think I should probably go back and then decide what to do. I still think as a grad student I would have problems going 2 years and being separated. Perhaps I should just through in the towel.

Thanks

trotsky,

There are two separate and distinct steps associated with applying for a US fiance(e) visa. First, you submit an I-129f petition to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to establish the relationship between you and your fiancee. The I-129f must be submitted to the USCIS Service Center (there are 4 of them) that serves your state of domicile. (If you've been away for 4 years, do you have a domicile in the US?) After your petition has been approved by the USCIS it will be sent to the consulate in Bangkok, and the consulate will send your fiancee a package with the K1 (fiance(e)) visa application materials.

One of the requirements for the visa, and for subsequent adjustment of status from non-immigrant to Permanent Resident (a 'Green Card' holder) is that the alien will not become a public charge after entering the USA. As your fiancee's sponsor, you will need to demonstrate income equal to the poverty level for your family size (the 2 of you plus any children) or 5 times that amount in liquid assets. I.e. you will need to show a job in the US, and if you can't then you will need someone else to sign on as a joint sponsor. The poverty level isn't a very high hurdle, but you are correct that an income of $5,000 - $10,000 comes up short.

References:

- USCIS.gov

- the Usenet Newsgroup alt.visa.us.marriage-based (perhaps best accessed via the web at either Google or BritishExpats.com)

- VisaJourney.com

Good luck.

Grabii

Archived