Hong Kong expats

dreamer

Crash999 said: Checked out a couple of ok places in Happy Valley for HK$14k but they were a bit of a hike to the MTR. More reasonable prices were to be had further out in the New Territories but then I'm facing transportation costs and it wouldn't be nice at 2am to have to spend an hour heading back home.

Finally I spoke to an HSBC financial advisor who told me that the average household in Hong Kong spends HK$16,666 on their housing costs.

/quote]

[1] You'd need to be living at the Chinese border for it to take an hour to get home at 2am. From TST or LKF/Wanchai to somewhere sensible in NT, eg Sha Tin would take 20 -30 min in a taxi and around HK$120 / US$ 15

[2] Take the HK$17k average housing cost with a pinch of salt, average salary in HK is arount that figure. Most people live in a 500 sq ft - 700 sq ft flat, probably HK$7k - HK$12k depending on area. Can pay much cheaper eg HK$3k if you don't mind travelling a bit more (eg Yuen Long in NT). But HK is a small place, travel times are not long, transport infrastructure is excellent.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
stars99hk said:

You can find very reasonable places to rent in the less well known areas of the Island, North Point , Sheung Wan places like that you could probably find similar place at 20-30% lower in price.

New build (OP given in May 2003) in Shueng Wan now for a 750 sq ft, 42 floor, with balcony and sea view is HK$12,000. Now up to HK$15,000.

Don't understand myself since Sheung Wan MTR is a 5-10 min walk to Lower end of Des Voeux Road West.

You can get a nice gaff at Scenic Rise on Caine Road for 12,000 with a pool and not much traffic noise and right beside the escalator and chicken on the run.

Stay clear of service apartments as they are a rip off although if your on a budget 'Horizons' in Ma on Shan may be a good idea now that the KCRC East rail is up and running 20 mins to Hung Hom and 5 mins on the fast ferry to Queens Pier if your working on the island.

As Stars99 says..best to live on the island and not the dark side. Loads to do and you can even get some good American beers at the 'In and out' bar in Causeway Bay (Sierra Neveda et al).

PM me if you want more knowledge

Archived