Visa for Thai Girl to UK

i would like to bring my Thai girlfriend back to the Uk on visitors Visa -- i would really prefer the fiance/ married Visa but unfortunately my divorce may take more than another 6 months to come through

the girl is an ex bar girl which i understand makes it more difficult

any help would be very welcome

You stand almost no chance of getting her in on a visitors visa, you will also not be able to get her in on a fiancee visa as you are still married, in short you are in a no win situation until you are divorced.

The only loophole you can try at your own risk, no guarantees is for her to book a "package" holiday to the UK from Thailand.

I think the visas are then sometimes handled by the tour agent, and are rumoured to be less stringent.

This is all heresay so do not take it as gospel.

I got my g/f into the UK in March on a fiancee visa, if you follow the rules and meet the criteria and she is a little clever, it is fairly easy due to regulation changes down to EU Human Rights.

Good Luck

There is more help/expertise on the Thailand UK message board site on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thailand_UK

What proof do they want ?

Fucking hell, shit loads of stuff, believe me I just went through it, g/f interviews, correspondence,letter of sponsorship, wage slips, phone bills, mortgage statements, proof of income, pictures of you together etc etc proof that you have been to Thailand and met etc etc.

Interview waiting list in the British Embassy is 2 months right now, and they girl will be interviewed alone.

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: Swishtz ]

Not sure how different my situation was to you guys but I found it remarkably easy to get my girlfriend a visitors visa.

I'd been working in Bangkok for almost two years and lived with my girlfriend for a year.

Sure, I'd heard all the horror stories but refused to believe it was that difficult, given my situation.

I can't remember exactly what I took to the Embassy, but a rough list is...

Proof of employment: a letter from my employer stating my salary, how long I'd worked there, and more importantly, that I was going to continue working there.

Proof of sufficient funds: bank statements from all my banks, both in Thailand and the UK.

Proof that she's my girlfriend: copy of apartment lease with both our signatures.

And of course, the originals and copies of passports/ID's, etc.

The most important thing, I think, is the covering letter, explaining your situation and just why you want to take her to the UK. I don't think many people write one of these but I was advised to do so by a colleague who'd already gone through this process.

Upon arrival at the Embassy we had a short wait until we were both called to one of the booths and an English guy asked me two or three questions; "Where are you staying in the UK?", "Any plans on getting married?". Actually, the second question had me burst into laughter. See below and you'll know why.

Another short wait later and we were called to the paying desk. One six month multiple-entry visa, no problem.

They didn't ask what she was doing for work now, or what she had done in the past. No separate interviews. No photo's. I think the only thing the guy asked her was if she knew anyone in the UK, to which she replied no.

From what I gather, the thing they want to see is that you are actually coming back to Thailand... together. This is why it's so difficult for tourists: they have no reason to bring the girl back.

This is a good UK visa story, made all the more perculiar by the fact that my girlfriend is a ladyboy. Everybody I asked all said the same thing, "Impossible! She'll never get one."

She sure did get some funny looks at passport control when we landed in the UK. A beautiful woman with a male passport!

The difference with you (apart from her being a ladyboy) were that you lived in Thailand and if you were not settling in the UK had reason to return

Things are easier to arrange now, I had no problems but all the paperwork you mentioned and stuff had to be in order.

As you went to the Embassy with her then they knew you knew each other.

I did not even attend my g/f interview, nor did I write a cover letter for them to question her with and try and contradict facts, i limited my sponsorhip letter to a legal declaration of responsibility with no sob story of how we met.

In fact they were very nice to her in the interview so no worries there.

They try to weed out the mail order brides and people who have only communicated via letter then get engaged, which is why they want proof that you have met, all this criteria is available on the home office web site as well as from the British Embassy itself.

If though you are currently married, one of the criteria for a settlement visa(which is marriage or fiancee) apart from a few minor differences, is proof of divorce from previous marriages.

If a fiancee visa is granted one of the conditions is you must get married withing 6 months, so that would be an issue with the case of the guy not being able to get divorced in time and remarried.

Anyway I would have loved to have seen passport controls faces when she went through, did they say anything or demand a medical ;-)

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: Swishtz ]

I got my previous girlfriend, an ex-pattaya bargirl, a tourist visa for UK no problems. Her past work history was never an issue, either for me or the embassy. She lived in my apartmment and I simply listed her occupation as 'housewife' on the visa form.

They asked for a lot of paperwork, details of where we would be staying, evidence of contact between us, photographs etc. But in the end it all came down to the fact that I had a work permit to work in Thailand vaild until well after we were due to return to Thailand. We therefoe had a reason to come back and it was therefore approved without too much fuss.

Immigartaion at the UK end could not have been easier, she was the only non UK / EU national on the flight and thus the only one who had to wait to clear immigration.

Be careful though Thai's fying to the UK outside the UK's 'summer months' will find it very cold. I first arrived with my thai GF in August and she was frozen although I did enjoy warming her up!

Archived