More pocket money than I had

There's a marvellous story in the Bangkok Post this moring in the sports section about a Thai teenage girl who paid 200,000 baht for David Beckham's football shirt.

"As the bidding got higher, I kept in touch with my Dad on my mobile phone because he was my financial backer"

I don't know what this says about Thai society but it caused me to almost puke over my cornflakes. Perhaps I'm just a little jealous because when I was 15 I got 2 quid a week pocket money and worked in a butcher's shop on Saturdays for another 5.

My dad is fairly well off but had I aked him to pay for Beckham's shirt, he'd have given me a clip round the lughole.

easy come easy go. there's an old Chinese saying about the 3 generation curse where old man Lee arrives in a foreign land, works his gonads off scrimping and saving every last satang, and is finally buried a rich man, still wearing his sweaty vest and flip flops he's worn since he arrived. The second generation consolidates. Then along comes fully assimilated Somchai or Noi, brought up in a world where status is all, no concept of hunger or desire then blows the lot.

Much more important, though Phil, is what did you make of Those Wolves shirts you were wearing yesterday?

LOL

I think it's an unfair comparison. The Wolves shirts are a lot more yellowy and the Man U shirts are browny.

Bring back the all-black away strip - probably one of the nicest kits I've ever seen.

Got to agree with you about the black shirts Phil...although the chants of "Who's the B*****d in the black?" might have become a wee bit repetitive!

Interesting point about young Dave's shirt fetching 200,000 baht - I bought Eric Cantona's shirt a few years back (also signed by the man himself) for a massive 5,000 baht. Seems like a good investment to me....oh and I have Sir Edward's too.....

Nice report on the match Phil. I await your views on Liam's verbal onslaught on Wednesday.

Groover

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Perhaps I'm just a little jealous because when I was 15 I got 2 quid a week pocket money and worked in a butcher's shop on Saturdays for another 5.

My dad is fairly well off but had I aked him to pay for Beckham's shirt, he'd have given me a clip round the lughole.

Too right. If you'd asked your Dad to pay for Beckham's shirt when you were 15, he'd have wondered what the hell you wanted with a 9 year-old East End boy's shirt.

Archived