Internet Accelerator Software

gawguy

I use dialup - I have my reasons.

Do they work?

Are "download accelerators" and "surfing accelerators" similar, about the same, or not the same at all??

If I obtain such software, I would like to spend a round number on it. A very round number! What would you recommend??

Thanks,

GG

What would you recommend??

broadband

......................................................................................

don't waste your money

just have the latest drivers for your modem.

way too many variables to consider, ISP, physical phone lines, modem, drivers, OS, time of day, ISP modems, traffic volume, connections of ISP to main Internet hub............ all of which are variable, few of which you can influence or control.

waste of time IMO

Has anyone found one that actually increases download speed?

These things can't download any faster than the bandwidth of your connection. They "optimize" your download speed by trying to saturate your available bandwidth. They do this by starting multiple connections with the server you are accessing.

This software is not well liked by people who run servers. Each connection consumes resources on the server side, and because the person is on dial up they use the resources for longer.

I got interested in this because my ISP was promoting browsing acceleration for an extra $3 per month. I am paying $4.95 per month now. I talked to them about it and was told it is software called "Propel." When I verified that it was just software I thought I would look for a free version.

I understand the replies before this one and I understand the limitatiions, except I don't know if you are saying they work?? If they "optimize" with multiple connections, will this improve speed via a 56K modem??

As I said, I have my reasons for using dialup. 1) More anonymous 2) My gf can use it from her computer at her house - she only uses it to email me when I'm in LOS.

GG

gawguy said:

I got interested in this because my ISP was promoting browsing acceleration for an extra $3 per month. I am paying $4.95 per month now. I talked to them about it and was told it is software called "Propel." When I verified that it was just software I thought I would look for a free version.

I understand the replies before this one and I understand the limitatiions, except I don't know if you are saying they work?? If they "optimize" with multiple connections, will this improve speed via a 56K modem??

As I said, I have my reasons for using dialup. 1) More anonymous 2) My gf can use it from her computer at her house - she only uses it to email me when I'm in LOS.

GG

FYI:

1. wrong.... you are much more anonymous behind a router on broadband

2, well it's acheap rate you got :ip:

3. Sounds like an ISP promo/scam. Your extra $3 a month will probably give you a different access number to their high speed (read 56K) modems and they will put a limit on the number of connections to each of their modems. That way you don't have to share the little bit of bandwidth they are giving you with 20 others trying to get on the same modem. With the cost of modems reaching nearly $10 each........ you will pay for the one they let you use in 3 months :neener: But then, how do THEY connect to the Internet backbone.......... T-1, T-3 ?? How many connections do they allow per modem?? These are questions to ask them and scare them that you know what you are talking about ::

LaoHuLi said:
gawguy said:

These are questions to ask them and scare them that you know what you are talking about ::

No worries there mate! ::

GG

BTW: Did you notice that the bottom of the tech forum page is filled with ads for accelerators. They must work! ;)

BTW: Did you notice that the bottom of the tech forum page is filled with ads for accelerators. They must work! ;)

Absolutely they work...and if you respond this week, in fact send your credit card details right now, and we can send you your free bonus of our Penis Enlarging Kit...but you must hurry for this special offer! ::

SoiledCowboy said:

Absolutely they work...and if you respond this week, in fact send your credit card details right now, and we can send you your free bonus of our Penis Enlarging Kit...but you must hurry for this special offer! ::

Hell...if it was any larger mate, I'd have to pay extra freight!! ::

GG

Archived