Bangkok buildings to be renumbered

elef

Bangkok buildings to be renumbered

Published on October 23, 2004

Finding an address in Bangkok will become easier next year when the building registration system will be changed to street numbers.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will spend Bt30 million to rearrange census registration numbers in 35 of the city's 50 districts by next year, deputy city clerk Talod Charoonrat said yesterday.

The current system is based on villages supervised by kamnan and headmen, but it was difficult to find a house because the numbers were often not consecutive.

The new system would be based on roads, with buildings on one side getting odd numbers and those on the other side bearing even numbers.

The districts to be renumbered include Chatuchak, Lak Si, Lat Krabang, Don Muang, Din Daeng and Bang Sue.

Talod said Bt6 million would |be used to hire temporary work-|ers to survey locations, Bt10 million to make signs and Bt1.5 million to pay overtime for civil servants.

Townhouses, residences and offices will be assigned plain numbers with no symbols.

Condominiums, apartments, army barracks and closed-compound complexes will be assigned only one census registration and the "/" symbol will be used to identify units.

The "-" symbol will be used for sois with many small branches like a spider's web.

For example, Soi Chokechai 4, soi 1-2 will be used to denote a second soi off a smaller soi.

The Nation

mass confusion !

when I go to Prague many of the houses have 2 sets of street numbers , I am never sure which is the correct one !

It will be the same in BKK, old addresses will still be needed as all the businesses have sales catalogs etc with the "old" numbers.

My thoughts , it will never get done after they figure out the problems.

If you want confusion, the Telephone Organisation provided it in the '80s and '90s. As the city expanded, the geniuses would change phone numbers around, giving older parts of the city NEW numbers and assigning the old numbers to new areas! The way you'd find out was to call home -- and hear a message (in Thai only) informing you that your number had been changed and you should call such-and-such number to find out what your new phone number was. Since a lot of foreigners working here do not speak Thai, they were forked!

It happened to me once, but I could understand what to do. The English gal who worked with me was totally befuddled. I had to tell her what the message was and call to get her new number for her. All she wanted to do was call home to see if the kids were back from school yet.

TIT

p.s. It also played hell with your business cards, which you had printed with a phone number that now belonged to someone else. If the city does this with house numbers, I can see the fun with lost mail. And unfortunately most Thais don't have enough sense to hand incorrectly deliverable letters back to the postman.

Archived