help my 8 year old falang kid to learn Thai

MrX

rompandadam said:

oh dear...Fly do you know anything about homeschooling...or you want me to give you information/point you in the direction of publications and on-line resources?

my problem is less home schooling than the social environment you let your son grow up in.

you have stated yourself that you are not overly happy that your son speaks perfect gutter thai. do you honestly think that this is the only thing he picks up on the street? and you don't even appear to understand the language your son speaks with his friends?!

very soon your boy will be 14 years old. what is gonna happen then? his language and behaviour will exclude him from any thai social setting other than slum/street. because of home schooling there will be very little contact with other farang children. and that is the age when most thais like the friends of your boy will already join the street gangs. if you do not change environment soon, how will you withstand the social pressures that *will* force your son into a gang?

you know, when you would tell me that you live in a nice house in a normal neighborhood (in my area for example you get houses with small gardens for 5000 baht and less a month), or on an island where your son has great opportunities for sport etc., and you do home schooling there, and keep your escapades with prostitutes and failed relationships with prostitutes half your age out of your sons life and eyes, i would say: great! you give your son a childhood every kid would dream about.

i don't want to sound disrespectful, or intrusive. but your posts here on the board leave me, and appearantly others, seriously bewildered.

you can keep evading the critical posts, entirely up to you, but you cannot stop people making their own conclusions based on what you post.

just remember - real criticism is expressed not to put you down, but to give you some outside ideas that you could/should use.

F:"i don't want to sound disrespectful, or intrusive. but your posts here on the board leave me, and appearantly others, seriously bewildered."

I share a sense of bewilderment.......

I offered to give you information about homeschooling because it might help you with some of the incorrect assumptions in your post eg "because of home schooling there will be very little contact with other farang children."

In fact he has as much contact with falang kids as with thai kids...a wide mix of friends is a tenet of homeschooling...

I really think your comment "keep your escapades with prostitutes and failed relationships with prostitutes half your age out of your sons life and eyes," isnt based on anything you know very much about at all....

"you can keep evading the critical posts, entirely up to you, but you cannot stop people making their own conclusions based on what you post."

Here we seem to have a comprehension problem (as you may have realized)since I am unable to agree with the posters who maintain I evade........as to why you should think I would want to stop people making their own conclusions based on my posts.... bewildered...

"just remember - real criticism is expressed not to put you down, but to give you some outside ideas that you could/should us"

I am not sure if you think "real criticism" as you define it, is much present on this board or not..tell me so and we can talk about it...

>>>He hangs out with the condo gang and speaks something like Lao/bangkok street thai with what I am told is a perfect accent and highly imperfect manners...so you expats with kids what resources do you know of to polish ( but not ruin) this powerful tool he has... ('resource' here is pretty wide...school, book, teacher, internet, shock therapy.... <<<

that, my friend, was your post. you come here and ask for advice. if you reject any advice given to you just because it is not a comforting advice then why ask?

why have you answered not a single question i have asked you? i think they were rather clear.

i repeat them again:

1) do you speak the language your son communicates with his street/condo friends?

2) how will you stop your son joining one of the many streetgangs rampant in thailand a few years down the line?

4) do you think that street thai is the only thing your son picks up on the street?

5) how and where do you think the future of your son will be? in thailand? in the west? if in thailand, a incredibly hirarchal society, how do you think he has any other future than street when he does mainly know the behavior of street?

the comprehension problem is on your side. i think those questions are rather clear, yet you have ignored them completely so far, failed to answer or acknowledge any of them.

>>>>I really think your comment "keep your escapades with prostitutes and failed relationships with prostitutes half your age out of your sons life and eyes," isnt based on anything you know very much about at all.... <<<

do you think i am that stupid? i can read, and i have read more than a few of your posts. i have also had more than a few affairs with hookers here (sexual and platonic ones) to understand more than a bit.

>>>>I am not sure if you think "real criticism" as you define it, is much present on this board or not..tell me so and we can talk about it... <<<<

how do you think to get any advice you ask for, when you give no answers to direct questions, and leave yourself a bit more than exposed by the nature of posts you make. so, what do you want to talk about? i think that i do make an effort by simply posting, thinking about this thread here, but you gotta be a bit more forthcoming.

answer my questions.

disperse my doubts.

don't just ignore questions just because they are uncomfortable. that leaves no other conclusion other than that you are neither willing to think about those matters, nor have thought much about them.

another question: what is the visa status of your son? children above 7 years old need a valid visa.

Archived