India outsourcing to China

think_too_mut

The members from IT industry may want to take a note of this article.

Even India, well taken as an endless supplier of qualified and cheap IT professionals is in trouble.

My company has bought a building in Bangalore, staffed with about 40 people. It's meant to house 1200. At least, if we have to move we stay within the region.

Managers are paid Western salaries and perks, just to go there.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/11/02/business/chitech.html

I think that the very best in India will not work for Indian wages,

they can demand Western salaries,

but there are 10s of thousands that are in call centers now and the only thing they bring is that they speak english.

They are trained at the call centers for whatever company is outsourcing them,

Now when you talk to Ebay or many other companies you are talking to India.

But this is a very small number of the 800 million or so people there.

If this trip to Thailand does not get me some redults getting my parts made ,

I may be outsourcing to India myself !

Leaving LAX in 5 hours for BKK , so I will find out soon !

I really do NOT look forward to going to India,

Hi TTM,

It's not encouraging, but the message for Western IT workers has been pretty strong for sometime : brong something beyond a set of readily-available technical skills : failure to do so means that you are just another commodity. A commodity that we can find anywhere.

This is particularly hard to take when employers inevitably build their 'must haves' around specific technical skills (!) : perhaps this fits their 'cog in the wheel' approach.

When I first started in IT, I was disdainful of programmers and analysts who worked to build systems that made them 'indispensable', but I can see more of it happening with each passing year. The fun starts when Mr Indispensable finds work elsewhere, and some other poor bastard(s) have to step in and fill in the dots. I wonder how well the Indians cope with systems like that ?

So far, my company has outsourced to India only old stuff that must be kept alive because some large customers are still running it.

An equivalent to say, supporting and creating patches for Windows 3.11 today.

How the Indians cope - with extra hours and extra pain but somehow they do. Those with Indian Uni degrees are very bright too (20 thousand applicants for 1 Uni seat, the winners are usually very good).

Archived