Smallest Bird in Thailand?

Pescator

I have seen what I believe must undoubtedly be the smallest bird in Thailand.

It is wasp/hornet sized and able to perform the same stunts as the hummingbird, in order words hovering at the same position while flapping its wings god knows how many times a second.

On both occasions I saw these tiny birds I at first mistook them for a wasp or hornet. In fact my friends wouldn`t believe they were indeed birds until they got up real close.

Of course I tried to take a couple of pictures, but they were much too fast for that.

Did a google search with search string "smallest bird thailand/Asia" but it didn`t come up with anything I could use.

Any suggestions? The name both in thai and english would be appreciated and perhaps some online photos?

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

It is however, definitely a bird. I managed to get up real close and see how it would put its beak into the corolla in order to suck nectar.

Had it been in the americas I would have been sure that it was a hummingbird, but since there is no such thing in Thailand it cannot be.

First time I saw this amazing bird was in Koh Chang in Trat. There was a flock of them feeding off the flowers of a papaya tree.

Next time was at my swimming pool in Kata beach Phuket, where a couple of those birds would arrive late afternoon to feed of a single pot plant right next to the outside bar :doah:

Why is it, when I travel to remote national parks to see exotic wild life, I see shit and when I sit at a pool sipping my beer chang this happens :dunno:

Cheers

Hua Nguu

>It is however, definitely a bird. I managed to get up real close and see how it would put its beak into the corolla in order to suck nectar.

http://www.thailandbirding.com/birders_newsletter.htm

>There are no hummingbirds in Southeast Asia unfortunately. There are plenty of other beautiful nectar-eating birds such as sunbirds and spiderhunters. These birds also spice up their meals by eating some insects and, as their name suggest, spiders.

and more pertinently:

>Many people insist that they've seen hummingbirds here in Thailand. Unfortunately, they're wrong, but you can't blame them. There is a moth that looks very, very similar to one. It hovers around flowers, sucking in nectar through a long proboscis

-j-

Archived