Firefox downloads trojan virus automatically

keekwai

My daughter found her way to a music related website that apparently automatically downloaded a trojan virus: downloader.VB.R to her desktop. As far as I know she didn't click on it so I don't know if it can do any harm just residing on a desktop. AVG discovered it and it's now in the AVG virus vault. I Googled it and someone else had the exact same thing happen apparently very quickly.

If you open up Firefox options you can select the option to be prompted where to save downloaded files. By default they are automatically saved to your desktop. This should be all the protection you need from this type of problem.

better to click the option NOT to download any programs automatically.

Also install Spywareblaster, to prevent most auto scripts from d/ling. Enable the protection in AVG to block bad hosts and install Spysweeper, as 'Malware' my not be seen as a 'vitus'.

most likey missy clicked OK when asked if she wanted to 'run this program' or 'continue' .......... most music host programs want you to install an applet. Firefox does NOT d/l anything all on it's own.

You're probably right. I've tried torture to make her confess to clicking something other than a normal link on a web page but she won't break.

The questionable download is called default.exe downloaded from http:// mmm.media-motor.net/soft/default.exe but I don't know which website linked to this. Oh well no damage done.

I've got Spywareblaster and AVG installed but I best check the settings. Thanks for the advice.

Archived