VoIP

butterfly

I've been using Vonage for over a year now and have been generally pleased with their service.

Of all the reviews I've read, Vonage came out on top as the best VoiP but a whole slew of big name companies have just recently or are about to introduce their own VoiP service(AT&T, Comcast...). Last summer Vonage dropped their rates in a preemptive move to counter the ensuing competition.

You won't find the line quality as good as a regular phone line but the quality is more than acceptable and in my case has improved over time.

The other features I liked about Vonage is voicemail that you can access online or thru a phone, portability, whether your moving across town or across the country you can keep the same number and your online account gives you a slew of options you can configure. I have only called Tech support on 2 or 3 occasions and found the service excellent. Vonage also has excellent LD calling rates. Once you set it up it works exaclty like your old phone service.

One disadvantage of any VoiP is if your internet service or electricity goes off then you don't have phone service. So I think its mandatory that you have a mobile as a backup. When my internet goes down Vonage automatically forwards all calls to my cell phone.

Bottom line is that the Savings and flexibilty of VoiP is more than offset by the disadvantages I listed above. My Phone bill is a 1/4 of what it used to be.

I'm using Vonage on Broadband and not DSL

When you get assigned a number by Vonage what type of prefix do you get? If it's not a local prefix it could create some confusion for callers?

By prefix do you actually mean area code? You choose the area code, Vonage doesn't randomly assign you one.This can be confusing because I could choose an area code for Florida but physically be in California or theoretically Thailand. This is great if you have alot of friends or relatives in Florida because they can call you without incurring any LD charges.

The best thing about the VOIP routers is that you can take them anywhere in the world, hook up to the internet and call your home country as a regular call.

I gave one of my gf's a vonage phone so she could call me directly, saved her a fortune on her DTAC bill., only cost me $25 a month. The problem eventually was that she was calling me way too much!!!

Yes, you can also specify the prefix if your requesting a new number.

When I switched to Vonage I wanted to keep my old land line. Vonage faxed me a form to fill out and I faxed it back to Vonage. It took approx. 2 weeks for Vonage to acquire my old number from Quest. During the interval Vonage supplied me with a temporary number...same prefix different number.

If they did give you the wrong prefix then your neighbour would incur a in-state LD charge to call you..

Archived