Nice little earner

Dexi

Ever seen the signs outside small shops in Pattaya advertising taxi to Bangkok or Don Muang 800 b.and a phone number....the deal here seems to be you are asked to give a 300 B. " deposit " when you book the taxi time,pick up address etc.roughly 5 mins before you want to be picked up this guy ( Indian - poss.working illegally )gets on his scooter and rides around searching for green and yelow meter taxis which have just arrived from Bkk.and are about to return empty - he then offers them 500 B. for the trip back ...you pay the taxi the remainder of the fare quoted ie. 5oo B.he keeps the 300 B.However,you usually have to tip the taxi driver as well to keep him in a good mood after he realizes he`s been ripped off.I estimate this chap could be making as much as an English teacher...a nice little earner - wish I`d thought of it ...

I don't know about that. I've used the service a number of times, both from Jomtien and Pattaya and have never been asked for a deposit up-front. Drivers have always showed up about 15 minutes ahead of time just to be sure. My understanding is that BKK taxi drivers check in to some location that provides them the return fare in exchange for a commission. Nothing wrong with that.

David

A lot of taxis, whether meter or not, do indeed hang on for a return fare (remember, time is cheaper than fuel) or they have a network of associates and friends who they call, looking for another job. The same happens the other way around when the Pattaya taxis are dropping off in Bangkok.

Archived