Hiding your Caller ID

khun_kris

Does anyone know how to hide your caller ID when calling from Thailand to the US? When I use my GSM phone with Startac or AIS, it shows that I am calling from the 66 country code, which is a bust for me. Not sure if using an MCI calling card from my hotel shows same or not.

Anyone out there with a method to make calls from Thailand to the US without revealing your location?

Try using the Hatari calling card - 6 baht/ minute. When I call US, it does not register in the US for identification purposes.

You should find, deeply enbedded in your menu, an option to disable sending out your caller ID. Check your manual or if you do not haver one, trying down loading one.

#31# preceding the number will withold your number

*31# preceding the number will show your number.

On most phones there is also a setting that you can select to permanently without your number (or some phones that will withold to anyone not in your contacts list).

These are the GSM standardised codes; whether the particular operators involved in the call (originating and terminating) respect these codes is a different matter. Best to test them out in advance.

These codes are unlikely to work from a hotel because they use a PBX which will be confused by these codes, although many PBXs are set not to present caller ID. See what the hoteldoes by calling from the hotel to your mobile.

I wanted to hide my number on some calls within Thailand but when I activated the option on my phone menu, I could not make outgoing calls. I was using 1-2 call, but also tried on a D-Tack phone with the same results. I posted the problem on this board, but no one could come up with a solution.

David

khun_kris said:

Does anyone know how to hide your caller ID when calling from Thailand to the US?... Anyone out there with a method to make calls from Thailand to the US without revealing your location?

I don't know about Thailand to the US, but when I make obscene or threatening calls from a call box I simply cover the mouthpiece with a handkerchief and try to speak like Jack Palance. :up:

My ex-wife :down: has rumbled me a couple of times (hence the current court restraining order :() but I've foxed a fair few people, including my bank manager and former mother-in-law. :applause:

Hope that sets you on the right track. :beer:

jack :help:

Khun Kris asked "Where do you make the calls from using this calling card? The hotel, an internent shope etc??"

You can use the card from all of the above and from an apartment, Condo, home and cell phone.

6 baht is cheap. You can buy the cards for 500 and 1000 baht.

Use a US based call-back service. You dial a number in the states, THEY dial the US number and ring you back to setup the connection. I can't recall the name of my service right now- Google it.

Also works to call Thailand from within Thailand, showing a US number.

Might be useful should one want to arrive a few days before they "arrive". :nudge nudge wink wink:

Archived