Keek

The Language section is rather quiet so I hope y'all don't mind if I occasionally post things that I have learned recently or that I find interesting. I'm not doing this to show off; in fact, some of the things I'll write about I'm not 100% sure of, so any comments or corrections are welcome.

Todays topic, keek. Lit. means guest. It is used to describe Muslims and Indians, the same way the word farang is used to describe caucasian Westerners.

Interesting usage that I just learned last month--this word is also used for customers in the bars. The English phrase that a BG might use, "she not go with customer" is a direct translation of khao mai pai gap keek.

many years ago i was told by a thai that they called indians "ekek" (not sure if kek or ekek is the right word) which they said mean't uninvited or unwanted guest but it definately wasn't intended as polite. Sometimes when i get bored i call my Thai friends here in farangland "ekek" just to see the reaction i get.

>>>Sometimes when i get bored i call my Thai friends here in farangland "ekek" just to see the reaction i get. <<<

i wouldn't.

"ee", or "ai", are extremely impolite forms of adress preceding a name. only close friends can adress themselves or desribe others that way.

another term to describe indians, more common in colloquial thai, is "bang".

Hi Max, Long time, no hear. How's tricks?

You fooled me with your spelling of guest, or Indian. You need to add the "kh" sound in there, as in "khaek."

If the hard k, then you might get "kik", which means someone you are involved with, but not attached to, or "kek" (high tone, short e), which means someone who likes to show off or be the center of attention.

Hope all is well, Max.

froggo

Khaek can mean "guest" but also "visitor".

It's in this context that the word is used by bars and BG's.

It is indeed also used to describe people of Indian descent, but has littlwe to do with being Muslim.

orandanodes said:

Khaek ... is indeed also used to describe people of Indian descent, but has littlwe to do with being Muslim.

I've heard it used for khaek Malaysia, khaek Arabia, etc. It made no sense so I asked and was told it was used for Muslims.

And thanks, FP, for the spelling correction.

It is true that malays are also often called khaek, and so are people from middle eastern descent. Still the word khaek is meant to classify a general appearance, not a religion. Bit similar to word farang.

[color:"red"] khaek [/color]

This word normally means "guest" not customer. However, I was told that the prostitutes use such words to soften it and make "customers" feel like guests. Just a slang I understand. Just like many BG use "I work with/for farangs" I guess.

I was stupid enough to answer "yes" when I was asked whether I worked with a farang. :o

Jasmine

Archived