Bangkok Post and The Nation

ranma500

At first I thought it was the particularly nasty effect of a hangover.

Then my visitor from the U.K. ran into my room asking what the hell was happening.

I realised it wasn't me. Indeed the room was swaying from side to side.

We left my 29th floor Bangkok apartment, and joined the other residents who had gathered outside the building.

No-one down below had felt a thing and earthquakes are pretty damn rare in Thailand, which made some of the residents wonder whether the building itself had a structural problem. (Not such an unlikely theory in Thailand.)

So I rang the Bangkok Post.

a. Did they know of an earthquake that was happening?

b. If not, would they be interested in our swaying building?

But the lady who answered the phone said that no-one was at the News Desk till 10.00. Could I call back then?

So I tried the Nation.

'Sorry. No-one at news desk now. I think go home now.'

I tried to persist a little.

'So what if I had some news to tell you?'

'Sorry. No-one you can talk to.'

'So... if it's very important news, big big news... you don't want to know about it?'

'No, sorry.'

What more is there to say?

well this is over here in sweden where we have one of the highest farang death tolls & the end result may be very nasty.

the foreign affair minister took several days to report into office, but finally she's in phuket & in tears by now.

in hindsight easy to put her at fault, but whatever happens she'll probably find it hard to continue in her position :-(

this disaster is & was frekin unbeliable

The Post and the Nation - both get a lot of thewir news off the news wires. Sometimes they print word for word. They use the same pictures but in some cases, make a picture smaller or larger, etc.

The Post and the Nation - both get a lot of their news off the news wires. Sometimes they print word for word. They use the same pictures but in some cases, make a picture smaller or larger, etc.

Archived