The Ugly American MOVES to Bangkok, pt 1

itsmedave

Hey ItsmeDave.....Sorry I hijacked your thread. So to make it up to you 1st few rounds of beer is on me and if you wish, i'll pay the barfine for the lady of your choice.

PS..If I retire in 6 months I'll make $1800 but if I do 2 more(after the 6 months)years my retirement pay will be $2000 a month. Base on what you guys showed me I think Ican have some fun in the LOS.

Thanks for the replies...I'll get the next installment up this weekend.

Regarding the $1800 per month...that is twice what I'm making now, and WAY more than you need to have a good time. In fact, I think Khun Sanuk's estimates were too conservative.

Figure 10,000 bht a month for a 2 bedroom townhouse around soi 81, farther out, but still on the skytrain line. All of my other bills come to 1000 bht, so we'll budget you at 3000 (assuming you like non-stop air-con) 400 bht a day for food (it will be far less if you eat Thai food) That's 12,000 more

So far you've spent 25,000 bht. $1800 x 44 bht = over 79,000 bht. So, after all bills and food you've still got 54,000 bht. Let's say 2,000 for other entertainment a month (that's 20 movies) 8000 for other shopping and incidentals, and you STILL have 44,000 bht a month left for Sanuk. Will you go out every night? Doubtful. (Get UBC) Let's say 3 times a week. You probably won't spend more than 2500 when you go out. 13 x 2500 = 32,500 (this is assuming you take a girl home each of these nights and not just grabs beers with friends.)

Still not enough fun for you? Well, you still have 11,500 bht left over. Go ahead, spend it all in one place. Keep in mind that I have been extremely generous. All of my figures could be cut in half (remember what I make) but, with that amount coming in, you won't have to. Or, you could live here AND save $900 a month. Up to you. Of course, should you get married or acquire a live-in, all bets are off. (although I'm not sure if the amounts would go up or down. Comments, married guys? Cause, theoretically, food would go down cause she cooks or makes you eat Thai food, Sanuk goes down cause you get the milk for free. I guess shopping would go up. I am curious as to what happens to a guys budget when he marries.) Oh no, Now I'M hijacking my own thread. That's it, I owe myself a barfine.

Regarding other questions...

I will answer the sanuk questions in future reports, but in response to the theatre stuff...

I don't think you have to be amazingly flamboyant (remember that the Thai's can be pretty reserved) so a little can go a long way. Also, while they are expecting to learn something, more than that they want to have fun. So, keeping this in mind...BE FUN!!!

Don't do the same activity for too long. Find a way to make exercises competitions. Make up games to play before, during, and after the lessons. I now have over ten games I use regularily. They are mostly word games that I've adapted from old U.S. game shows, like $25,000 Pyramid and Chain Reaction. Grab the Boggle board game from home before you arrive because that works really well (it's like scrabble, but they have to see how many words they can make with the givin letters in 3 minutes)

Just remember that they will usually follow where you lead. If you are having a good time, so will they. Then, the learning comes naturally.

Any pointers for us introverted greenhorns with no acting experience (and an overabundance of shyness) would be most appreciated."

I took the TEFL course in Ban Phe last year and was without a doubt the most introverted of my fellow class-mates. I dreaded the idea of standing up in front of a class more than any other part of the course.

The course though is structured so that you start off in the shallow end. You do a few sketches with and in front of your other class-mates, your first teaching practice is a joint one with another trainee. Once you've done your initial teaching practice by yourself it gets easier, you still get a bit nervous but then Dave the teacher trainer at TEFL International with 20+ years of experience, says that he still feels a tinge of nervousness with every class he teaches! I found the course gave me a lot more self confidence in general not just in the teaching arena.

And back to Dave hijacking his own thread , I'd be very interested to in knowing if expenses go up or down when you finally settle down with you TG.

I'll start a new post in the relationships

section

Archived