Guest-friendly budget hotels in Yangon?

yahuseyyah

• 3 weeks later...

Where is Trader hotel, and what does it cost?? Flying to Yangoon next week and hope to pick up a few girls from JJ and around.

Anymore info on the bars and clubs there??

OK, found some links abt Trader Hotel

Got as well a listing of Yangoon hotels from a travel agency, including the market targetted by the hotel sometimes.It seems hotels catering to asian are more guest friendly, what do you mean byu budget?

You bet! I've got just what you're looking for- Thamada Hotel, Yangon.

Try this link:

http://www.precisionreservations.com/ph-aspx-hotel_id.10492-db-hoteldatabase/HotelDisplay.htm

I spent some time there, back in 2003, and found it to be girl friendly. All in all, a very pleasant staff and very nicely situated in location to the rest of Yangon. Another big plus is it happens to be right across the street from one of the most upscale hotels in Yangon- the Grand Plaza ParkRoyal Hotel

see: http://grandplaza.yangon.parkroyalhotels.com/s38699/location.html

which has one of the best venues for Freelancers in the basement.

I paid $25 a night when I stayed. If you stay up into the wee hours you will find the govt. controlled & selected TV stations [about 5 in all] begin to migrate across a whole spectrum of stuff- but mostly settle on the Fashion-TV channel for the runway action. Turns out it's the bellmen swithing signals behind the front desk for their own private viewing. That town is crazy for fashion shows, I swear, every bar I went into had a fashion show.

Anecdote: Yangon is so impoverished- on the afternoon when I checked out and was heading for the airport the hotel manager invited himself to share my cab as it was passing his house on the way there. Nice guy he was too, just another vicitm of the junta's grip I reckon.

Word the the wise: Visa and Mastercard are useless there. Bring US$ cash in small denominations and check it all for tears- even the slightest tear found on a bill will cause it to be rejected.

Archived