TEDBKK and Mikey's Pattaya: a trip not-quite-report

Mikey and and I spent the weekend in Pattaya. Here are a few notes and observations.

* We went by regular Bangkok city taxi. Flagged one down and offered 1200 baht plus tolls. Took about an hour and a half to get there, after spending a half hour just getting the rest of the way down the Soi and up Wittayu Road to get to the hiway in the 5PM Friday traffic.

* We had no prior hotel reservations and were a bit worried about getting 2 rooms for 2 nights during this, the (very) high season. The first place we tried was full. Relying on Mikey's finely-tuned Pattaya instincts, we hopped a songthaew to hit a place where "three big hotels are right in a row." Turned out to be the Royal Twin Palace. We declined breakfast and so got 100 baht off the rate making it 1500 baht per night for each room ("deluxe rooms"). Hotel took 4000 baht deposit. The place is lovely and clean and well-situated and we got absolutely HUGE rooms on a high floor with water view.

* Although I've been in Thailand for a year and half, this was only my second time in Pattaya. Last year when I went I wasn't really that especially into it, and I didn't see what it had over Bangkok in terms of fun.

* At Pattayaland: firstly, the hassle factor seems high at several of the bars. Secondly, the quality of the girls is not too great. Thirdly, the clientele is kinda rough there sometimes. Last time I had spent most of my time in Pattayaland so maybe this is why I have had the somewhat negative impression since I went last time, 9 months ago.

* But this time, we spent the majority of our time out (Friday and Saturday nights) at the go-gos on Soi Diamond. All I can say is: holy shit. There are 6 bars there and each is more unbelievable than the next in terms of the quality of the girls and general level of fun. The hassle level is also low in those bars. They show when the police aren't making rounds and full nudity and painting shows and such are also in evidence. But bars do close at 2AM.

* Saturday afternoon at Tahitian Queen. Really excellent and low-key. Sort of what Woodstock would be like if they had go-go dancing. If you stare at the girls for a while you get get a little mesmerized, like they're dancing in slow motion. Mikey and I had a laugh about how its historical status of first go-go bar in Pattaya was an excellent dose of cultural exposure.

* We were already having a tremendous time at the Soi Diamond go-go bars on Saturday night when we walked into Vixens. I sat down and then I saw the stunner to end all stunners. The kind of stunner that even the farang ladies drool over. The kind of stunner that I could imagine inspired Angkorian artists to carve bas-reliefs of young ladies in topless meditation. I elbowed Mikey in the ribs to get him to check it out. We were both just stuck dumb, literally rendered speechless at the sight of her. Just when Mikey was asking me how this night could get any better, I looked to my left and realized that, hey, those aren't mirrors on the wall there, that's a shower compartment and we're seated right next to the shower show. "Well, it just got better."

* Poor Mikey had already set up a late-night meeting with a sort-of-girlfriend he really likes, but which he wasn't entirely sure would happen. Meanwhile the aforementioned stunner-to-end-all-stunners was sitting on his lap and making noises about going with him. Life can be so cruel!

* It's kinda strange how Super Baby is the only go-go out of the six that gets these large groups of Chinese package tourists. One minute the bar will be packed and then a whole group of like 20 of 'em will move on to get back on their busses or whatever, and bar is empty for a little while. Wierd.

* More about those Chinese package tourists. At one point Mikey and I were standing out on the end of the pier. A boat from the floating seafood restaurant pulled up and a huge load of them disembarked. Several old geezers were standing there leering at our companions, quite openly. Now, when you're standing around with a couple of fantastic stunners in their bar-girl chic, one expects, and even derives a little pride from, a bit of staring here and there. But there's a line and these guys crossed it. I actually speak a little Chinese (don't ask) so I yelled "ni kan jian shenme" (what are you looking at) and they (almost) stopped. By the time we got back to Beach Road we were ready to get out from their gaze to avoid the urge to slug one of them, but there were literally a dozen busses lined up and it seemed like no matter where we walked there were old Chinese people looked at us, from the street, from above us on busses, etc.

* Don't take a lady wearning heels out on that pier. It's not exactly in the most fantasic state of repair and the planks are spaced too far apart to begin with (alarmingly so, at times).

Now I can't wait to go back there some time in the near future. It won't be another 9 months between trips!

Hey good report!!

Incidentally wheres the hotel you stayed in, Pattaya seems to lack decent hotels in that range, at least as far as I know.

Flipper Lodge and Easteny are OK but if your there for a month or so they can seem a little threadbare, and they're always so damn gloomy, what is it with gloomy hotel rooms and Pattay

• 2 weeks later...

Archived