BKK going down the drain

ALHOLK

You are right. Pattaya now has much better nightlife than Bangkok and, as every month goes by, the gaps gets wider.

I used to prefer Bangkok over Pattaya because the girls, in general, were much better looking in Bangkok than Pattaya. But as the crackdown continues in Bangkok, that is beginning to change. Many of the BGs I know that used to work in Bangkok are now down in Pattaya, particularly some of the stunners.

Pattaya is obviously much more relaxed about showing and hours than Bangkok. It seems to be much more relaxed about everything.

I enjoy Bangkok because it has bars like Q Bar, Club Mystique and upscale discos - the type of places that are much harder to find in Pattaya - but that has become largely irrelevant because those type of places are not nearly as much fun when everything closes at 1 am sharp. The early closing times knock half the fun out of going to those type of bars and discos.

The new airport is on the Pattaya side of the Bangkok exburbs, and when it opens, I can imagine plenty of tourists who would otherwise patronize NEP and SC simply skipping Bangkok altogether and going straight to Pattaya.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trooper

I've been "enjoying" Bangkok in September.

The prohibition atmosphere created by the 2 am closing time was not that bad .... it gave to BKK's nightlife a kind of routine-breaker spicy "flavor", obliging to be quite recourseful, to follow unknown and unexpected tracks, to nose about hidden "after hours" spots, clandestine joints or secluded parties .... not talking of the Suk sidewalks, buzzy till dawn, which are the new 'rendez-vous" in town (and a GOOD pick-up spot, all the girls being at the same time at the same place) ...

I found Pattaya's nightlife less varied and more on the beaten tracks.

For next trip I wouldn't skip SP for BKK, and will travel to others better sanuk destinations (there's tons) before coming back, but this closing time is not as bad as it is reported.

:beer:

.... not talking of the Suk sidewalks, buzzy till dawn, which are the new 'rendez-vous" in town (and a GOOD pick-up spot, all the girls being at the same time at the same place) ...

Sorry but you lost me here. I personally find that it is much more difficult to pick a good girl after 2am these days than a couple of years ago. And I don?t mean because of sitting in the heat and humidity on shabby plastic chairs in midst of the garbage the street vendors left and rats without music just spoils the whole atmosphere.

Today after 2am you have tow walk along Sukhumvit (Soi 3 to Soi 19) and if you want to first scan the talent a walk up and down Sukhumvit easily takes 30min. Additionally the most crowded areas are extremely dark and you hardly can stop to really scan the girls because dozens of people are pushing you for or backward. If you have spotted a quite interesting girl, let?s say at soi 7 and you decided to check the market first, the girl most likely has disappeared until you are back. And this game can happen several times a night. The whole scene is much more volatile these days and, if you prefer a slow approach (Sorry bit I am just not the guy, who grasps the arm of bypassing girls and pull them on my laps.) you might well often go home empty handed. It often also happens to me that I am following a girl, while another interesting one just comes up the opposite way. As you can only follow one, you have take a quick decision otherwise you might not have lost only one, but both. But one what you base this decision? Just on the brief, superficial glance you had on the bypassing girl?

In the ?good old days? both girls would have been in Thermae, Grace or Rainbow 2000 and if you choose a good position you could have observed several girls easily for quite some time. You could check the behavior of the girls without pressure and make up your mind, to which girl you gonna talk first. You normally will know soon, whether she will be your girl for the night or not and could easily talk to the next candidate, who is just meters away, if the first choice didn?t meet your expectations. Today the other girl has most likely moved down the street and will have a hard time to see find her again. I am often walking Sukhumvit up and down several times just looking for girls, which I have seen a few minutes before without even knowing whether they did not just jumped in Taxi and went home. :(

Hardy641, Grace is still open all night.

I use to like it when the girls use to squat and hang out between soi 7 and 9 - that is squatting - like all night long.

The street crowd starts to get pretty seedy after 11:00 PM and when 1:00 AM comes around, it gets really seedy.

Lately, late at night, there have been a large percentage of the street crowd which are ladyboys and some of them have been causing a lot of trouble. Down by the Westin and Sheraton, they congregate like wolf packs.

As for picking up a girl, I still say the best time is 11:00 AM at the soi 7 beer garden, and the quality can be excellent.

You're not wrong. A dirty sidewalk remains a dirty sidewalk. Yet one of the very few late-night option currently in Bangkok. I've been triyng to stay positive about this closing time when I was in town, otherwise I could have take immediatly the first plane to Jakarta or KL.

Yet I'm not hurry to come back to Thailand.

Anyway Randomshots has recently made a good post about Bangkok's late-night venues in this thread.

Cheers

>>Today BKK doesn't hold a prayer against Pattaya. On the good side BKK has much better shopping than Pattaya and Panthip Plaza seems to be back in full swing.

I agree, Alholk.

I don't think this trend towards silly beer prices will ever seriously extend to Pattaya. Some bars are trying it on, but just too much competition here. There's always another bar cheaper and better.

The 5 best gogo bars in Pattaya all have draft beer 45-60 baht max, with naked pussy right in your face, and very friendly girls.... gynaecologists and cunning linguists would feel right at home. I'm not telling you which ones they are (yous all will have to read Eyebee's column for that), because I can hardly get a seat in them as it is, and I'll be buggered if I have to sit on you bastards' laps (no pun intended! :grinyes:) It's a simple formula: attractive naked women plus cheap beer = the management have to start turning punters away.

By contrast, I don't frequent some of the gogos in Soi Pattayaland 2 anymore. Girls pretty ordinary, not showing and beer 120/130 baht.... so why bother?

One or two of the newer gogos adopting the same MO - they're doomed to fail.

One of my previous favourites on Walking Street,Living Dolls Showcase, once one of the most innovative but is now off my list too. Still got some stunning women there, but prima donnish and aloof. I gave a helping hand to a sheila getting up on stage the other night, and all she did was scowl at me... OK my hand had slipped to the cheeks of her arse, but it's the thought that counts :hubba: A smile may have got her a lady drink and tip. They just go through the motions of their tired showtime routines, and "draft" beer a whopping 120 baht... ridiculous. The owner is obviously paying the girls too much.. and has to find the money to pay 'em. They've lost their drive.

We've got our own mini Panthip Plaza on South Pattaya Rd now... nowhere near as extensive, but they've got all the hardware and software I need. Nice little food hall down in the basement too.

:beer:

Hi!

After 20+ years I can probably find my way around Pattaya without help. :D

From you post I deduce that you might enjoy Beach Club. :)

I agree about Living Dolls Showcase. It used to be better. Today I think the shows at Polo are better.

I did visit the new IT mall the other day and think its great that I don't have to go up to Sri Racha or BKK to buy hardware/software.

regards

ALHOLK

Bangkok is off my intineray these days. A taxi straight to Pattaya is the best bet if you want a good break and plenty of in your face sanuk.

I checked out Living Dolls Showcase a bit over a week ago and the show was a pale imitation of what it once was.

Carousel had an excellent show and should be on everyones list of places to go.

Diamond A Go Go had a decent show but the gals didn't get it all off.

Polo is always good for a drink or two and it s show is different from the rest .

Ididn't go into Peppermint even thou they have some hotties and a pretty good show as the atmosphere is very sterile and the gals are not very friendly.

Living Dolls remains one of my favourite places as the gals there really are very interactive and there are some hotties there as well.

Having said all of that i don't barfine from gogos as I find it is difficult to get good service most of the time but i do like to do some watching and drinking.

Archived