Who ate all the eggs?

Redbaron

For the first time in I don't know how many trips, Miss Red was not there to meet me at the airport. In the end it turned out she went to the wrong terminal... she was pretty pissed off having to walk all that way at 11pm. Almost as pissed off as I as having to put up with the taxi touts for half an hour while I was waiting!

In the end, I asked them, "Have you seen my wife? She's about this tall, with dark hair." They still didn't stop asking the question... "Where you go?"

After the obligatory dinner at the hotel (us, mum, mum's bf, neighbour, neighbour's kids, taxi drivers, someone we bumped into on the way, noodle vendor, anyone else), which killed me, as I was looking forward to getting down to business. A few minutes was all it took. New record.

We did a lot of mucking around trying to sort out the 'tiruk visa' (prospecive spouse), as we have been talking about taking the plunge and tying the knot... To my relief (and hers too I suspect) it looks like it won't be possible this trip. To be honest, I'm quite happy with her coming over to the land of oz 6 months at a time.

Did the Friday night Gullivers thing, followed by a bit of Egyptian grub (well done Suadum) and a pretty big night down soi cowboy. I'd been granted a leave pass, so decided to make the most of it, and kept going until about 4am, then decided to head home.

For those of you unable to find places which may stay open a bit later... open your eyes, ears and mouth while you're down there. It aint that hard to find.

Unbeknown to me, my leave pass expired at midnight, and knocking on the door at 5am didn't go down too well. At all.

Shopping at MBK... Bought about 4 baht of gold, plus a few buddhas for the folks back home. New shoes, a handbag, and a few shirts and she forgives me.

True love hey?

TBC

Following all this shopping, more baht was parted with at the Oz embassy's new visa section, as Miss Red's tourist visa application was lodged. There was talk of us going for the prospective spouse visa, but to be honest, it all looked a bit too hard, so we'll do it again in 6 months - my boss will probably kill me, but it's a good excuse for another holiday!

This trip it seems she's a bit more tolerant of my excess drinking, so I'm making the most of it, and since they've run out of Carlsberg (thanks Feiry Jack) I've been trying all the others, that new Archas isn't too bad. Tiger too. I still think it would cost me a small fortune to catch up with Suadum again though, so we took a limo to pattaya.

• 2 weeks later...

Pattaya..

Hasn't changed much has it? In Pattaya, we did what you do in Pattaya... We drank a hell of a lot (both even chundered once- too much info?) The hotel we stayed at were selling 3 Archa's by the pool for 90 baht (that's 30B each folks), and I took full advantage of this bargain. The breakfast was pretty ordinary though. Around the corner, we found a little place called Uncle Charlie's which IMO did a superb western breakfast (bacon, eggs coffee etc) for around 100B.

Caught up with the lads at Rolf's bar once again, even had a few beers with an old flame, who seemed to get along with the current one after a few hesitant glances and stares. Reunions are always a funny thing, I hadn't seen STH for close to 3 years I guess, and his tg was as lovely as ever. STH's mate was a good laugh too, and carew his crazy old self... When the lads suggested a 'walk around the corner without the girls', and Miss Red started sharpening her knife, I volunteered to remain behind and hold the fort.

Eventually we got a phone call from the embassy- come back to Bangkok, your visa's ready. So we head back to the Woraburi, drop off the luggage and join the queue to pick up Miss Red's passport... "Solly, not ready, come back tomollow." Does come back tomorrow mean that, or does it mean 'I have no idea when it'll be ready'?

We already had tickets to Phuket, so we took off, planning to collect the passport and visa on the way out in about a week.

Archived