Interesting Article On Boiler Room Scams

shamus

You should also read Andrew Drummond's piece in the Sunday Bangkok Post on the same subject. I particularly liked the part about the police at the airport robbing some of the guys who went on the lam of a couple of hundred thousand US as the price of permitting them out of the country. "It goes to help the Thai economy," a police spokesman was quoted as saying. Man, oh, man. Who are the real crooks around here anyway?

Regardless, Drummond's piece is one of the best bits of reporting I've even seen in the Post. Gee, I wonder how it ever got past the subeditors in such a literate, readable form.......

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: OldAsiaHand ]

Some updates from Irish interviews

with some of the leading figures.

The IRA connection is a non runner.

Maybe suits Kealy and his mates in

BKK to imply they have some muscle behind them...........to keep other expats in line?

Thais deny witch-hunt on shares man

Second Irishman charged as firm's chief prepares to fight fraud allegations

THAI authorities yesterday dismissed claims by Irishman John Kealey that they were mounting a "witch-hunt" against his share selling operation, raided two weeks ago in Bangkok.

Mr Kealey is preparing to legally challenge allegations against the Brinton Group as another Irishman, Paul Hickey (48), was reportedly charged with violating the stock exchange's securities regulations.

Four other foreign nationals charged were Scott Fisher, Steven Hooper, Jason Rich and Adrian Robert, said police Lt Col Pravut Wongsinil of the Crime Suppression Division.

He added investigators were working overtime to conclude their case as they had only 48 days left after the charges were read to the suspects.

Jim Ryan, a Dubliner who was working as a business consultant with the Brinton Group, said the men were in "good spirits" despite their conditions.

The temperature in Bangkok yesterday reached 38C but the jail does not have air conditioning although there are fans.

The men are being held in large cells which accommodate 70. Most of their cell mates are Cambodian.

The Irish Independent has also obtained a document taken from the offices of the Brinton Group during the raid two weeks ago which was allegedly used in a sales pitch to a client.

In the document, the sales person would allegedly have given a false name "James Harvey" and would have used the company name "Sigma Capital" instead of the Brinton Group.

The worker would have also allegedly told a prospective client that the firm was in Tokyo instead of Bangkok.

But Mr Ryan argued that the Briton Group had facilities in Tokyo and that marketing departments for companies all around the world used scripts.

He added authorities had been trying to dig up anything they could which could be used against the people who were detained.

Last week John Kealey told the Irish Independent that most of the allegations made about the Brinton Group were untrue.

However, an official close to the investigation said: "The raid on Mr Kealey's offices two weeks ago resulted from extensive, long term enquiries. There is significant evidence to suggest there is a large fraud involved.

"There are a whole range of legal issues being looked."

Mr Ryan yesterday claimed the authorities were "going on bad investigative work." He said the police had not spoken to the companies in which Brinton had been selling shares.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: sinsin ]

Thai shares suspect hits out at police 'witch hunt'

THE man at the centre of the Thai share-selling operation has spoken of the "emotional roller coaster" he has endured since police raided his office last week.

Tipperary-born John Kealey broke his silence to tell the Irish Independent he had contacted the police in Bangkok and was planning to take a legal case to clear his reputation and that of his company.

Mr Kealey said he had been keeping a "low profile" and staying with friends since the offices of the Brinton Group were raided last Thursday.

"What happened last week was appalling," he declared.

"They barged into the office. They let the Thai staff go and they held certain people.

"The basic thing is that the authorities raided us as they thought we sold Thai nationals currencies and stock we did not. We only sell to New Zealand, Australia and Asia.

"It has been like a witch hunt.

"If this was such a huge fraud, why were the Thai staff let go in 12 hours and 69 people fined £100 and deported?"

Mr Kealey admitted most of the staff had been working without permits.

He insisted it was the responsibility of the workers to have their papers in order because they were employed on a consultancy basis.

He said there were companies in Bangkok which had been sell ing fake shares.

But he insisted the Brinton Group had been offering stock in legitimate firms.

The authorities said last week the company had been pressurising people to buy fake shares.

Mr Kealey said that among the documents taken by the Thai police had been share certificates which proved the stocks sold were real.

He added that the Brinton Group sent funds back to clients on a daily basis.

"People are saying I'm behind the largest scam in history and they are saying I'm a terrorist I'm not," declared Mr Kealey.

"I have spoken with the gentleman running the investigation. I told him who I was. Our lawyers are speaking with the police."

Mr Kealey said the other two men held by police, Scott Fisher from Australia and Irishman Paul Hickey, who had senior positions in the Brinton Group, had not yet been charged.

There were 12 to 14 owners of the Brinton Group who came from Ireland, Britain, the US, France, Canada and Japan, he added.

He had a very small stake himself, he said.

"It has been an emotional roller coaster.

"We have been on the phone 17 to 20 hours a day arranging tick ets, clothes and even shampoo for those held."

When asked why the securities and exchanges commissions in Hong Kong, New Zealand and Australia had warned investors from buying shares through Brinton, he said the authorities were discouraging people from sending funds offshore.

"They are ticked off about money going overseas, where there is confidentiality and it is tax-free," added Mr Kealey.

"We are asking for representation of the facts. We will prove that in a court of law," he declared.

The raids by the Thai police, FBI and the Australian Federal Police were on two share-selling operations in Bangkok.

Mr Kealey said he had no connection with the second company, Benson Dupont Capital Management, and knew nothing about it.

Archived