Newbie in 1999 - with Farang girlfriend (part 4)

My girlfriend turned up way past midnight, quite drunk and very angry: the front desk had prevented her from taking her boy toy to our room for a drink. So she grabbed beers from the minibar and rushed out declaring that she wants to go for a swim. Wait a bit - no towel!? Since she was drunk enough to do something stupid, I grabbed a towel (just in case) and followed her.

I caught up with her in front of the hotel where she was having beer with the Thai boy. Unfortunately she remained hell-bent on going swimming and my attempt to reason with her just resulted in screaming that shook the windows. At least I managed to persuade her not to take a dip in Pattaya Bay. It was supposed to be quite polluted and I did not fancy the idea of having to fish her out from the murky waves in the darkness not being that sober myself. The hotel pool was closed and far too near the watchful eyes of the staff for trying to break the rules. However, the beach-side pool of the hotel appeared to be an acceptable compromise: it was private and shallow enough, and there even was a bit of lighting. Her Thai date appeared to be rather confused by the strange antics of farangs at this point...

My girlfriend stripped down to her underwear and started splashing in the pool. She was urging us to join her, but neither I nor the Thai boy appeared to be very keen to get wet. It turned out that the water in the pool definitely had an extra dose of chlorine mixed in, since suddenly my girlfriend started bawling that she had lost a nail. Actually it turned our to be quite a few nails. The chlorine had dissolved the glue on the fancy and expensive artificial nails she was wearing. However, that did not drive her out from the pool. She continued splashing about (fortunately it was not deep) and kept coming back for more to drink. Soon enough the bottles were empty and I was actually glad to go and fetch some more just to get away from a scene which I was rather disgusted with.

When I came back I found that she had managed to convince the Thai toy boy to join her in the pool. In fact, some heavy necking was going on. At least he still had his briefs on... As it turned out, I did not have to decide whether to start making a scene or not, since the noise had finally attracted a hotel security guard. He clearly did not approve of our invasion of the pool during the hours when it was closed. My girlfriend wanted to stand up for her "rights" and started haranguing at the guard who probably did not understand much of it. This of course was no big deal for us as hotel guests, but I managed to make her understand that her Thai friend could get into real trouble if she kept at it. To my relief she soon collected her stuff and headed towards our room. What remained was an emotional good-bye to the Thai toy boy. He was solemnly promising to be back in the morning to say good-bye before we left for Bangkok.

Once we were back in the room I was glad to notice that there were still a few hours left for sleep. We had not much to say to each other...

Come morning I was up in time for breakfast but the girlfriend was still far too sleepy. When I was passing the lobby I found the toy boy sitting there. I said hello and told that the girlfriend would not be around for quite a while. "Nevermind, I will wait".

I finally managed to drag the girlfriend from the bed while I was packing my stuff. She seemed to be able to proceed well enough to keep our travel schedule, so I headed down to the lobby with my suitcase to wait.

The toy boy was still there and seemed anxious to talk. He appeared to have a big crush on my girlfriend... He had not dared to go the bed, because he had been afraid of not waking up in time and missing the chance to see my girlfriend before we left. He had spent the intervening time drinking Thai whisky with some friend, so he was not feeling exactly wonderful. Actually he turned out to be a nice enough fellow.

My girlfriend turned up in time for our scheduled departure. She and the toy boy had another round of mournful goodbyes and exchanged wovs of keeping in touch. I found that a bit ironic considering that my girlfriend had earlier told that she did not

intend to stay in touch with a Thai male prostitute.

Finally it was time to leave. We were taking a minibus to save some money. As a result, we had to spend a while driving around Pattaya to pick up the other passangers. At one stop we sat and waited for roughly ten minutes, but it was not too unpleasant at all. We were under some trees at the edge of some kind of park where a couple of dozen young children were playing. It was a bit amazing to see such a normal and peaceful scene in the middle of all the sleaze of Pattaya. In the afternoon we were in Bangkok.

Summary: Pattaya had turned out to be nicer than its reputation. Maybe I have too high a tolerance for seediness, but I found it merely piquant. It definitely seemed like a place that I would not mind visiting again.

(However, it seemed to be much more fun if you are not encumbered with imported female company.) As it turned out, I ended up visiting Pattaya again nine months later and found the place dreadfully boring. I think that Pattaya is good fun if you have company, but much less so if you are (and remain) alone.

Wagner

Archived