Cops Fail Traffic Law Test

Zaad

Subject : 600 Thai Cops Fail Traffic Law Test - AFP ( From Thailand Forum )

BANGKOK, Thailand - More than 600 policemen in the Thai capital have temporarily lost the right to issue tickets to motorists after failing a test on traffic law, a senior police officer said Monday.

The police department last month tested 4,475 officers on their knowledge of traffic law, and almost one in seven failed to show adequate knowledge, said Maj. Gen. Montree Jamroon, a deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

"A total of 665, accounting for about 14 percent of the traffic policemen in Bangkok, failed the test on traffic law and they will not be allowed to issue tickets until they pass," he said.

Those who failed the test would have to take it again within six months, said Montree.

Bangkok drivers have long complained about the seemingly arbitrary enforcement of traffic laws.

Hi,

it doesn't matter if the police officers know the law or not - IMO also an officer who knows the law can bend it for tea money. BTW, the first thing that happens after getting a driver's license a thai forgets everything anyhow. ::

elef

Most Thai drivers never even have to take the driving test! I did ... though I'd been driving since I was a teen, since I'm a foreign devil. But my wife didn't because she's a civil servant! I still remember from my Peace Corps days up country when I would see Thais jerking around the campus, stripping gears etc as they tried to figure out how to drive the car they had just bought -- after getting their licence in advance.

Thus it's 50-50: drivers who can't drive and traffic cops who don't know the traffic laws.

::

I once asked my thai lawyer, a senior copper and a good thai friend about who has the right of way between a car turning left with a green light (not a left turn arrow) and a pedestrian crossing the street into which the car was turning, the pedestrian also with a green walk light.

My question arose because of the numerous times I nearly was run over at the Nana / Suk intersection (whilst completely Jober as a Sudge).

All three shrugged their shoulders. Amazing Thailand. Gotta Luv 'em though!

I've been trying to find the answer to this one for years.

Your car has slowed for an intersection. A car approaching you and about to do a right turn across your bows, but still stationary, flashes its lights at you.

Does this mean "stop where you are, I'll be in your way" or "proceed so you can get out of my way quickly"?

After 15 years of driving in Bangkok and several near-misses I've a feeling it can mean either, depending on the mood of the driver flashing the lights. It would be nice to know for sure.

Archived