Can it get any better?

Bkkbound04

I would probably drink and shag myself to death if i was retired now.

A common fear, Zorro, and one of several that we repeatedly visit on the board :

- what if my money runs out before I do ?

- what if I get sick ?

- what if I become yet-another-Farang-nightlife-casualty

All fair questions, and I'm afraid I dont have the answers, but at least we have access to people who have made the leap of faith. One thing is for sure, I dont plan to end my days shuffling around a nursing home, so maybe your fear is my salvation ::

KhunKong,

your are right about it could be better, but my situation is not a direct trade off betwen pension and annual leave entitlement, I just refferred to it as some may not understand how UK public services are managed.

The pensions attack is currently a proposal, we are about to enter a period of serious industrial disputes over it, the first big public service strikes for years will start on March 23rd.

For the record I'm 42 and the pensions changes kick in in 2013 . :: :: ::

We have been very successful at managing the health of the population so that living to a ripe old age is now the expectation of most, damn pity they did'nt tell us that meant we had to work till a ripe old age!!! ::

JP

I guess it's the same all over. For me, in the States, my pension is paid through my labor union. We just switched plans to a bigger, more solvent pension fund. Only problem is that on the old plan full retirement was at 62, early at 55 (with penalty), now full at 67(!) early at 62(!), and it was full at 65 and early at 60 when we merged last year.

Fortunately, I'm old enough to to be covered under the old plan. I feel sorry for the younger guys and gals who will be faced with the prospect of working at a very physical job when they are pushing 70! Really, there is no way to do it. We work in the film business moving equipment, scenery and furniture 12 hours a day. What were the trustees thinking? I guess they had a tough decision to make, switch to an impossible plan or go belly up. ::

Archived