Alternating keyboard use

Tiger Moth

I have Windows XP installed and the keyboard has keys that show Thai characters as well as English.

I have no idea how to switch to Thai and back to English. I am learning to read and write Thai, and this would be helpful.

I have used a program that provides a Virtual Thai Keyboard, which allows me to key in Thai - but only in the spot provided. So, if I want to look up a Thai word in a dictionary, I must enter it in the Virtual Thai Keyboard, copy and then paste into Thai dictionary.

Any help with switching keyboard back and forth between Thai and English would be appreciated.

I'm guessing you've already installed the files for Thai in Control Panel>Regional and Language Options. Once the files have been installed open Control Panel>Regional and Language Options again and choose the Languages tab then click Details. On the Settings tab click Add next to the installed services window. On the Add Input language select Thai from the drop down menu. On the Keyboard layout drop down menu there are four Thai options available. I usually choose Thai Kedmanee. Click OK, apply.

In the installed services window you should see Thai now. In preferences below this window click language bar and check the box to show additional language bar icons in the taskbar. You can configure keyboard shortcuts to toggle between input languages as well. Back on your desktop you may need to right click the taskbar choose toolbars>language bar. From there you'll be able to toggle between input languages.

impressively detailed and helpful information .... :up:

only thing is that XP does not have virtual keyboard ... I sometimes type using non-English language but don't have the characters on my keyboard. Sometimes, I do it by trial and error

Thanks. You can use the on-sceen keyboard (start > accessories > all programs > accessories > accessibility) and toggle between input languages but it's very hard to see the Thai characters. Another option if you have MS Word or Office installed you can install the visual keyboard which gives a much better view:

MS Visual Keyboard

The best method though as kuhn_k pointed out is a Thai keyboard. Cheap USB ones with are 200 baht.

Archived