Ukraine vs. Scotland?

chilli13

Hi guys,

I´m being persuaded to consider a long weekend trip to kiew, ukraine even airfare, visa, apt. etc. seem to be bad value! However if the chicks are hot & willing it may be worth it so any experiences over there?

On the other hand there´s a TG I might wanna pay a visit in Edinburgh, but is it any fun at all up there apart from the obvious pub crawling & ageing scotch?

I have not been to Ukarains for about 10 years but I am told that not a lot has changed.

All of the p4p is Mafia controlled and you will find a $100 will be the minimum rate.

I should think Kiev is a lot better, even then there were a few quite fun places.

I have spoken to more recent visitors and they say much the same as when I was there. It is piss poor country with most hotels not much cop: although I suppose a few private operations have opened up

If I was going on spec (and I did not) I think I would try Edinburgh any day.

I suddenly remebered this is here. My trip report so to speak

I wasn't going to respond to this subject but I did spend 3 months in Edinburgh the winter of 2002-03 and have spent the equivalant of half a year there. Drinking is the number one activity. There are a multitude of pubs on Rose street (behind Princes Street) and over in the university area. Its not know as the "Hen Party Capitol of the U.K." for nothing. Edinburgh has 3 very impressive galleries of art. There are several music venues, also mainly in the university area. I think that the nightclub scene is better in Glasgow, though. I'll be in Edinburgh the week of the Open in July, so between watching golf in the daytime and hitting pubs in the nighttime, I don't think that I'll be bored. If you can wait, going to Edinburgh during Festival time would be an interesting experience (I haven't as of yet). Or, you can visit the saunas, like the London Sauna, where more can be negociated for than just a massauge (although they are a poor comparison to Bangkok). Finally, you can visit the new Parlimentary buildings and try to fingure out why it cost 10 times the original estimate to build.

Went to kiev in 1970 and edinburgh in '79, both full of drunks if I remember correctly. Kiev has the advantage of having some interesting Rastrelli churches and st Sofias, shevchenko opera house etc. I'd steer clear of Scotland, Scots are more agressive then Brit football hooligans, after half a pint too many want to pick a fight. Why not go somewhere civilized like Denmark or Holland?-peter

(www.edinburghfestival.co.uk) Its a three week period, usualy the last 3 weeks of August, during which Edinburgh acts like a magnet for various artistic venues (music, theater and paintings) from first class performances to fringe acts. Its supposedly the largest festival of its kind in the world. Every night during the festival, they have what is called a "tatoo" in the Edinburgh Castle parking area (just in front of the castle), where they have festivities which includes military marching bands from around the world.

Archived